Classic Dirt Bike Ty200?

Guest majestyman340

Guest majestyman340

I dont get the mag myself, but heard they built a really tricked up TY175 over the first few issues, and the bike ended up getting sold. Wonder how much the bike went for, as a mate of mine used to own a TY175 in the 1970s, and is looking for another one, but doesnt want sometthing needing lots of work?

Suggest you have a look for yourself. I wouldn't describe it as tricked up. More like restored using some non-standard parts. You can see the bike advertised on John Cane's website at least it was last time I looked a few days ago.

Guest majestyman340
Suggest you have a look for yourself. I wouldn't describe it as tricked up. More like restored using some non-standard parts. You can see the bike advertised on John Cane's website at least it was last time I looked a few days ago.

Sounds good................any idea of the URL for Johns site please?

Guest majestyman340

TY looks fine, but seems strange they didnt bother to paint the cylinder when installing the bore kit? Will pass details of the bike to my mate...........glad to see the price is more realistic now, someone told me it had been advertised in the mag for

Hi the bike on TYtrials web site is my sons TY175 not a 200. It was rebuilt by me about 18 months ago but has been used since thats why the head needs repainting, its for sale as you know, If I was going to keep it I would have probably repainted it. The 200 kit John supplies comes freshly painted. I have ridden a couple of TY 175s that have been converted using this 200 kit and I must say it makes quite a difference to the power of the bike. THe bike that was advertised earlier on the site for

Edited by majesty320

Hi the bike on TYtrials web site is my sons TY175 not a 200. It was rebuilt by me about 18 months ago but has been used since thats why the head needs repainting, its for sale as you know, If I was going to keep it I would have probably repainted it. The 200 kit John supplies comes freshly painted. I have ridden a couple of TY 175s that have been converted using this 200 kit and I must say it makes quite a difference to the power of the bike. THe bike that was advertised earlier on the site for

That's interesting as someone here mentioned that the 200 kit didn't do enough to warrant the cost.

Yes, that was me and having ridden a couple of 200 conversions I don't, neither do the owners - I must state here though that I'm not talking specifically about John Cane's conversion as I haven't tried one, so don't mis-construe this. The bikes I tried were converted elsewhere, correctly I hasten to add, not botch jobs.

Guess it's like anything else, it's all down to personal perception.

Guest majestyman340
Yes, that was me and having ridden a couple of 200 conversions I don't, neither do the owners - I must state here though that I'm not talking specifically about John Cane's conversion as I haven't tried one, so don't mis-construe this. The bikes I tried were converted elsewhere, correctly I hasten to add, not botch jobs.

Guess it's like anything else, it's all down to personal perception.

Seeing Johns stand at Malvern he seemed to be to be someone who could certainly be trusted when it comes to anything to do with Yamaha, so I would think any of his engine mods would be well worth trying.

Hi the bike on TYtrials web site is my sons TY175 not a 200.

Nice bike, how does it handle? I tried betor shocks on mine (slightly longer) and it made the front end head shake far worse than it was before. Even moving the forks up and down made no difference (yours look like about 5mm sticking through the top yoke).

When i fell off and manage to bend one of my rear shocks i went back to the originals and it feels so much better, especialy over rocks.

Hi the forks are flush with the top of the yolks and the shocks are 14" long. I found this makes it steer better, as far as it being twitchy on the front I dont find it any different I though all 175s were like that. My friend solved this by fitting TY250 forks and yolks which makes a massive difference. I am 14 stone and I have rode this bike a few times in local club trials and have been quite impressed by its performance.

I dont find it any different I though all 175s were like that.

Like i said ive gone back to the original rear shocks, my forks stick through the top yoke 15mm (not including the nuts) my footrests are an inch further back and about 1 1/2 inches lower than standard, ive done some work on the fork springs and i find it to be much more stable than it ever was, especialy over rocks/streams etc, I weigh about 13st.