Week 59 - Cash, Biscuits Or Nowt?

Andy

For example I was "in charge" of a hill at the SSDT a few years back when a situation arose.. the rider who to this day doesn't want to get a real job lashed into the observer who thought he was being kind (giving the benifit of any doubt) with a tirade of abuse; "I.ve spent thousands of pounds getting here,don't you know who I am? etc. culminating in I'm never coming here again!!" (expletives omitted).

Hmmm... that story seems a little familiar, was it at Blackwater by any chance? the observer, is he a personal friend of mine I wonder?

Seem to think the establishment eventually caved in on that one.....

Chewy...do you make things riders stand on?

Big John

our club has tried most things to get observers like free entries, paying all the observers, observers draw, but not made much difference, we did a beginner /novice trial a couple of weeks ago 8 sections 4 laps and guess what nobody wanted to observer apart from a few faithfull ones. there was one family of 5 adults and 1 young rider, and not one of them would help out. how many times have we seem dad running round the trial following his lad, shouting and bawling at them when the do something wrong ? I bet the young lad would much rather dad leaves them alone to enjoy there days riding instead of getting a earfull all the time, I for one am getting sick and tired of giving up my time for free going setting out a trial and then having to give up my ride to observer,

Its about time the extremely selfish element of people give something back to there local clubs, because there is a lot of time and effort going into setting these trials out by a small minority of riders and hard working club officals. :gay:

Don't have a comment about payment as i dont know enough about it but..........

No body should ever argue with an observer ! State your case - Politely , But remember the observer's decision is Final no matter what they decide.

Anbody who doesn't have the decency to thank the observer for giving up their time for the benefit of all riders shouldn't bother turning up again.

A simple 'Thankyou' costs nothing and is always well appreciated by the poor bugger(s) who stands there all day in the cold and wet (and warm and sunshine if they're lucky !) and give up they're time for you.

Remember .............. No Observers.................No Trials..................... :gay:

THANK THEM !

Yes it's frustrating when' as an organiser, you've spent a great deal of time and effort setting out a trial for people to refuse to observe but don't forget, we all choose to do what we do and the observer thing as been this way for some time.

I always bite my tongue and say to myself "they have the same right to say no as I do to ask" and move on to the next person. Offering a free ride doesn't encourage many people to observe but it does make it easier for me to cold sell the job on the day.

I used to lie in bed the night before a trial worrying about getting enough observers, these days I don't care. At the start time I call all the riders together, put out one last plea and then simply stick the observers boards by the end of the section. It's not worth loosing sleep over.

simple.. pay a tenner to every observer

riders cant afford the extra?? rubbish.. what can you buy for your bike that costs as little as a tenner..

trials is the cheapest motor sport bar none you cant buy an hour and a half at minimum wage for a tenner and yet the expectation is that folk stand out for 4 hours for free.. are we barmy

i like mikes biscuits idea.. but it has one flaw// i love biscuits they would n't survive the trip home i'd put on more weight and they'd keep me out of trials

give me the cash my young kids come along for the sweetie money for helping thier dad on a sunday morning and we all go home happy... the kids learn to count and write numbers and they get sweets from the tenner for doing it.. everybody wins..

simple.. pay a tenner to every observer

riders cant afford the extra?? rubbish.. what can you buy for your bike that costs as little as a tenner..

trials is the cheapest motor sport bar none you cant buy an hour and a half at minimum wage for a tenner and yet the expectation is that folk stand out for 4 hours for free.. are we barmy

i like mikes biscuits idea.. but it has one flaw// i love biscuits they would n't survive the trip home i'd put on more weight and they'd keep me out of trials

give me the cash my young kids come along for the sweetie money for helping thier dad on a sunday morning and we all go home happy... the kids learn to count and write numbers and they get sweets from the tenner for doing it.. everybody wins..

I can't disagree with you there, I would happily pay

Most clubs in the Yorkshire centre Do reward the observers or offer a free entry. It helps that there is a "Hard Core" such as Margaret, Renee and Gordon as well as a number of Dads, Mum's Sister's and brothers who are willing to stand on the Hillsides. I would disagree with the statement that club's "make plenty" from Entry fees tho. I was the Treasurer of a Major club and we covered cost and a bit on the majority of Trials. We only made a nice profit on two or three a year. Many smaller clubs with small entries would not be able to reward the observers in the same way. Only when you get over 40 riders do the figures start to pan out.

At the events that my clubs have put on we pack 'em a lunch bag (sandwich, piece of fruit, candy, drink) and attach it to a checker kit with a loop map, pencil, pad of paper, instructions for checking and punch. During the event there is a member of the club that goes round with a full backpack to check and make sure everything is OK help with the occasional rider backup and to bring them cold drinks or anything specific they need on the next time around. End of day when they come out of the woods we feed them again with burgers and much bench racing.

We simply can't afford to pay them and we couldn't pay them what they're worth anyway.

When you start paying observers with a cash sum, you then set a precedence for all future trials. This then becomes a polarising point of discussion. For example, if club A pays a tenner to the observers, then is club B down the road obliged to do the same? And then does a local trial with say 50 riders command the same 'pay' rate as doing a 40 lapper with 140 riders when you have to move sections and therefore more effort is required on your part?

One other thing that observers also do that I have seen, is either by themselves or with a helper, clear the section and then carry the pegs back to the van.

When I have observered in the past I have enjoyed it immensely. I thinks as Bikespace has said above, if you are using a card punch you get the chance for a bit of banter with the riders, this is always enjoyable. I have never been bothered about being paid purely because I'm at the trial anyway so my costs getting there and back are already paid for. In the winter when its freezing cold/wet... now thats another story :gay:

I personally feel that if someone is going to make the effort to observe for you, then they certainly need to be made to feel a bit special. This would be something on the lines of what Dan above has said along with some recognition, either in the results or on the clubs website.

IMHO ;)

Havingt read the article on performance enhancing pies, this forum and being lined up to observe in Scotland it may be agood idea to distribute said pies amongst observing staff. Jake can rest assured that I will do all to remove the temptation from him ..surely 30 pies a day is too much for anyone!

I should have added a few more things. We give them a trash bag to pack in the section and make sure nobody pulls down the loop arrows so they don't get completely lost coming back to the pits. Also a sweep rider goes out after the last rider to let them know they can come in early if the riders all finish before time is up.

We also try to set up a pairs of sections close to each other so even if a checker is on their own in a section they can look over and see and talk to another person out in the woods. Good for morale, good for safety.

Edited by Dan Williams

Guest majestyman340

Interesting that so few people are interested in this topic.............when no observers effectively is going to spell the end of serious trials!

While on the other end there are plenty of people prepared to argue largely in the favour of the tricked up twinshock specials, that seem to me to have ruined "P65" trials.............doesnt seem a lot of point in these discussions, as P65 is already pretty much finished at national level, while the problems with lack of observers can still be sorted out if its looked at carefully.

Do a raffle at the end.One lucky observer win's a hundred smacker's.

You can still take your bit of skirt for a nice romantic meal down the curry house for that.

Ball's to biscuit's your win better prize's down at the local Bingo Hall.

Edited by bilc0