Dellorto Float Height

zippy

Otay carb is peeing gas and floads out when sitting not running with gas on. Ya know ya park bike walk section come back and fire it up. well if I don't shut off the gas it won't start unless I turn off gas, open choke, and hold throttle wide open.

I oops and left the gas on overnight about a week back and the next day it was peeing on the floor.

Have already checked:

"sunk" floats both are good

crud in valve? clear.

I thinking float height is off. My info says 18.5mm for a float setting.

What does this really mean :gay: What do I measure from and to. Is carb square or at 45 degree angle.

I am trying to get a bit precise other than just bend the tabs put it together and try and find out it don't work and tear it down again.

Guest majestyman340
Otay carb is peeing gas and floads out when sitting not running with gas on. Ya know ya park bike walk section come back and fire it up. well if I don't shut off the gas it won't start unless I turn off gas, open choke, and hold throttle wide open.

I oops and left the gas on overnight about a week back and the next day it was peeing on the floor.

Have already checked:

"sunk" floats both are good

crud in valve? clear.

I thinking float height is off. My info says 18.5mm for a float setting.

What does this really mean :gay: What do I measure from and to. Is carb square or at 45 degree angle.

I am trying to get a bit precise other than just bend the tabs put it together and try and find out it don't work and tear it down again.

Had problems like this myself, and would be very interested to hear how to sort things out by changing the float height?

Thanks for the info guys,

I may be a little thick :gay: (well maybe a lot depends on who you talk to)

Let me get this straight so I am measuring correctly.

Carb on bench up side down.

Carb is level.

Measure up from float bowl gasket surface to the arms that the floats contact.

now this is where it gets fuzzy for me.

Do I measure right where the floats contact the arms or where the armature contacts the valve?

(the piece is a "step" design where the floats touch and the valve touch are at different heights.)

Obviously the float arms move up and down.

At what position do I want to have the arms so that I get 18.5mm?

Arms level?

Arms at the point where the "feed valve" is just closed?

Arms at the point where the little spring in the stopper part of valve is fully compressed?

Again I would like to say thank you for your help.

Edited by ZIPPY

Zippy,

This is one of those procedures that is easy to show but complicated to describe.

I had the problem once but I can't remember which bike I had at the time (I 'll come to that remedy later).

When you've got the carb' upside down the brass? legs should be damn near horizontal anyway 'cos of gravity(don't push to seat the fuel valve).

The gap between the o-ring seating face and the height of the brass legs is where you're measuring.

Here's what happened to me:

The fuel-flow needle has a spring in it which pushed the tapered seat out too far and cocked it over in the bore (hence the perma-leak).

I bent the short tangs (part of the brass legs) so the fuel-valve couldn't move to such an extreme limit and couldn't jam.

If you're still stuck I'll try to post some photos.

Wayne

Edited by HAM2

Ham2

Thanks for the explanation,

So it boils down to just give the tangs a slight tweek so that the needle does not open quite as far. This way it won't get cocked over in the bore. Think it makes sense. will give it a go later today methinks.

All I can say is that's what worked for me.

As you hinted in your first post it's a pain in the t1t5 when you have to strip-alter-assemble-try for 3or 4 times . :gay:

Which is exactly what I did...17 mm,18mm,19mm,20mm..it didn't seem to effect the running of bike at all..but it still leaked until I altered the little tangs.??!!

While inverted, the carb body surface and the float arms should be basically parallel with each other. Measure from the bowl surface up to where the floats contact the arms. :gay:

Edited by copemech

Best I recall, that means everything LEVEL, float arms level carb upside down and level. :gay:
Hi copemech, I think you're right, can't be simpler than that.

For those who want to picture it, see fig. 14 of this diagram:

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/editor/uploads/i.../floatlevel.pdf

"hold the carburettor upside down and check that the float is parallel to the carburettor surface"

According to this document however the technique described would give a 24mm float height. Now why Sherco mentions 18.5mm ? I guess it's time to take the carb off and figure it out / validate all this.

Hugo

Hi copemech, I think you're right, can't be simpler than that.

For those who want to picture it, see fig. 14 of this diagram:

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/editor/uploads/i.../floatlevel.pdf

"hold the carburettor upside down and check that the float is parallel to the carburettor surface"

According to this document however the technique described would give a 24mm float height. Now why Sherco mentions 18.5mm ? I guess it's time to take the carb off and figure it out / validate all this.

Hugo

I think it may be because we are actually setting the "arm" height at 18.5 giving the resultant "float height" at 24mm?

Thanks for fixing kips bike guys! Now we can go riding tomorrow!!!! should be a balmy 30 degrees and possible snow. Sweeetttttt.

Little did you all know he acutally eats his cereal out of his float bowl and his diswasher is broken... :hyper:

--Biff

biffsgasgas Posted Today, 06:22 PM

Thanks for fixing kips bike guys! Now we can go riding tomorrow!!!! should be a balmy 30 degrees and possible snow. Sweeetttttt.

Little did you all know he acutally eats his cereal out of his float bowl and his diswasher is broken...

--Biff

Gotta have my wheaties, and the float bowl is better than the toilet bowl.

..........dishwasher is broken??? Dude there ain't nothing wrong with the wife. :hyper:

As far as my float height.

Took carb put upside down.

Looked at arms (tangs)

they was pointing way down.

Did not worry about measuring (right now)

carefully bent both arms so they are parellel with Float bowl sealing surface.

Now I measured (super high tech ruler with cm and mm on it)

Got about 17 mm at top of arms. Now this is not tottally accurrate way of measuring so could be 18 or 18.5 or ????

put everything back together started bike

rode around yard

shut it off and restarted right away.....1 kick COOL

ride around some more.

park it go in house talk to dishwasher.....I mean wife.

go back outside after approx. 10 mins.

restart bike ..........1 kick SSSWWWEEEEETTTT!!!

Thanks everyone.

Now I can go riding with that crazy guy Biff.

Biff tells me:

"you can make it... more gas" Crash "HHmmm you better try again"