Dial Indicator Clearance For Timing

mcman56

Mitutoyo made a kit with a small diameter dial indicator. I also have a timing tool that screws into spark plug hole that looks like a micrometer. I will look for the brand tomorrow. Central tools made a fixture that allowed the indicator to be off to one side for clearance.

Would you really go out and buy a "use it once in a blue moon" new tool, instead of removing the rad???

I've messed with the timing on an 02 Sherco many times.....Without a dial indicator (or anything else for that mater).....It's not that big a deal. :rolleyes: .... Just don't adjust it too far either way. Check for hot running if retarding. Then ride it on a section to see if you like it. :)

Best of balance.

Neo

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up retarding 4.5 mm. The motor is a little slower responding at low rpm. However, the occasional engine knock is now more frequent. I expected the opposite result. Could it need a bigger jet? I have Boyesens and it was runnign fine on a 33.

I have had to run the #36 in the later bikes! And drop to a 115 main with the boyesens, which even at that is a tad rich. If you want them to clean out nicely to hypersonic speed, then down to a 110-112!!! Yikes, so I still run a bit rich, I never need that much top end. :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

HooooooRayyyyyy.

I tried to explain the positive stop method a few years back and some know it all's tried to

blast me on it. My response was nothing. They can go pound sand if their so smart!

:barf:

Brian R, You have my permission to feel vindicated and self-righteous.:rolleyes:

That method's been around since the 1950's as far as I knew,

and they should have known........

Cheers.

Jon

ps. We have smarter know-it-alls on the Forum now....

• 2 weeks later...
Would you really go out and buy a "use it once in a blue moon" new tool, instead of removing the rad???

I was just describing a tool that could help in the situation described.

Would I buy a once in a blue moon tool? I have purchased, manufactured many such tools. The motorcycle industry isn't exactly "awash" with service soloution tools. I would go so far as to say I have an extensive collection of tools and equipment for motorcycles.

Paul, i am always reminded of that old tool my old buddy "Doc " had in his assortment! It was a 8mm curved stainless rod, called it a prostate sounder!

If you did'nt like that one, I think he had the 10mm version in reserve!!!!!! ;)