Carbs !

axulsuv

:D I just finished playing with the 26mm OKO flatslide that I received from Classistrial ...! after my cracking the floatbowl wilst adjusting the float level and waiting for a kehin bowl to arrive , I set the float level to 19mm as shown for the pwk , and just now put it back on .

After playing with the idle and riding the old girl for a bit in the back yard , after a long WFO run I pulled the plug and checked it's condition. Just a tad to clean , so due to my K&N airfilter and iridium plug , I moved the needle circlip one notch down (to slightley richen mixture) . And after putting her back together All I can say is WOW !!!!

If your riding your 240 or 300 with the stock delorto , get in touch w/Chris at classictrial , He'll make you love your bike allover again ! ABSOLUTY AMAZING performance gains !!! This is the first carb swap I've ever done that the carb was jetted correctly out of the box ! He put some time into making this a bolt on affair... The old girl has such a increase in response now I'll have to learn how to ride it allover !

And ANDY , I have no connection at all to classictrial , (except for the love of fantics !) .I just greatly appriciate someone in todays world that says what they do and does what they say ...

;) Glenn

Glenn, if the mixture is too lean at Wide Open Throttle (WOT), dropping the circlip or raising the needle will not help. You will need a bigger main jet! The different jets all work at different throttle/revs/ and loading. The air screw controls the mixtrue at idle up to 1/8 throttle, The slide shape comes in from 1/8 to 1/2. Also the pilot jet/slide takes over from 1/3 to 2/3 throttle. Wide open throttle is controlled by the main jet. Raising or lowering the needle, or even changing the taper works on those inbetweeny bits but not WOT. That fealing of wow could mean hugh amounts of power, it feels like that just before you melt a piston. (Bin there, done that, bought the t-shirt)

Only way to test the main jet is stick it in say 5th or 6th and run flat out up a hill for 50-60 seconds or so. Hit the kill switch and pull the clutch at the same time and the check the plug colour. If you roll and idle to a stop you are checking the idle circuit and not the main jet. Chocolate brown is nice. Anything lighter and I would go up on a main jet. You cant really measure mid range or pilot jets using a plug chop because you never know the revs/throttle setting/load on the engine when you kill it under load in mid range. But you wont melt a piston with half open throttle. You can do this from Chris base settings and then try needle, clips slide etc.

Dropping the needle or raising it to make richer is the mid range stuff-thing-bit you do after the main jet is ok.

Let us know how you get on.

Lee

PS, what oil ratio are you using , what gas type. If you run more oil, you make the fuel/gas mixture leaner. I alway run super plus in my fanny and add octane booster. it stops them knockin on the forth laop of a trial when they get hot. remember hot....long time ago in YURUP

Edited by Lee Harris

;) Lee , much to my neighbors dismay that is just what I did yesterday afternoon !!! WFO shutdown ! changing the needle clip took the sharp edge off the fanny's midrange hit ... And I got a complete pwk jet kit to play with , but I think I will leave it alone for now ... I Like IT !!

And I run a mix of 2/3rds ave gas w/ 1/3 98oct.premium at 75 to1 with amsoil full synthetic oil , their racing oil , not the 100 to 1 oil they make.

And trust me , I've printed every peice of PWK tuning info I could find ....

Glenn ;):D

:D WFO = wide Fu#%in open (as if you didn't know !) The jets are as I pm'd you and I'm not taking it back off to get the needle # until I get a fresh carb to airbox boot , as mine has seen better days and took me about 20 minutes to get backon correctly this last time ... And if my memory works from yesterday , There are 5 needle clip positions , and carb came w/ clip in the middle , I lowered clip 1 notch to raise needle slightly ... and remember I'm only about 10 feet above sea level here , So I beleive from past experiance from your jetting tip on the delorto and plug condition that followed, that this will workfine for where I actually get to compete !!!

Now I just need a event and the cash to get there !!! And btw , those forks I got , are pristene tubes , late model single seal long spring versions !!!! So the paint is gone on the sliders ...

Keep yor feet up !!!

Glenn

Hi axulsuv, I see you are pleased with a flatslide carb. I've thougt about if flatslide carbs will work on older twinshocks (I have a Montesa Cota 348). Could you please tell more about your experiences?