Gobsmacked

slapshot 3

At that price I think it's fair to say that it won't be ridden anyway and will just go into someone's collection.

From what people who rode them at the time have said they were no match for their contemporary rivals from Spain at top level, but that is pretty obvious anyway.

However, today's classic trials are nowhere near as tough as the nationals back then so if you really wanted to you could compete in the Miller or Traditional series on one. They'd take more input and effort from the rider to do well on but they'd make the sections.

Juan Knight won the Isle of Man classic outright on his last year and that was riding at the front of the field too which was quite a disadvantage on slimey rocks. He's a very good rider yes, but the bike was up to it as long as the rider was good enough and it was nice to see it out there and being ridden.

For me though, that would be one challenge too far I think....

Sourced and bought one of these a few years ago for a buddy in California. Had a ride on it before I crated up and shipped out, it was awful. Mind you I suppose after being used to the powerband of a 2 stroke it would feel awful. Very,very pretty bike though.

• 4 weeks later...