Sidecar Trials

bobm

Anyone know of links to news/info/photos on UK/Euro Sidecar trials?

Who is manufacturing sidecars nowadays

I am looking for photos in particular to help develop interest in Sidecars in the US. Any info appreciated

Bob Manifold

Cubby

Thanks. I actually Googled into that site yesterday! Lots of interesting pics. I emailed Andy looking for more info so I can get sidecars active over here in the US.

Looks like the IOM is a haven for trails sidecars! I wish I could be there to ride the 2-Day again. The Manx was always the best event of the year for me - two days of trials with an excess of beer in between! :)

I've fancied having a go for ages. Only ever seen two outfits round here.

I've been looking for rules. Do you have to have one fixed rider, one passenger, or can you swap over?

What about age groups? My lad's too young at the moment but I reckon it could be good fun in a couple of years.

Part of the reason I was asking whether you could swap is the weight difference. He's about a third my weight, so not too good on a camber with the bike underneath ;) But if I find someone around my weight we'll need to run it on nitrus to get anywhere :)

Looking through the gallery Cubby pointed us to there's a photo with both of them stood in the sidecar. Is that OK, or is he just messing about?

I think my old man used to bolt a chair on to a B40 or summat. Presumably with the frames being a bit less agricultural the only way is to weld these days?

Seems to me our easier routes could easily be tuned for sidecars if there was enough interest. I reckon 3 or 4 chairs would get enough competition to start a bit of interest, but I suppose it's a bit of an outlay if there's only a few trials a year locally.

29er - thats the proper side! ;o)

Bikespace - When you are here for the two-day next week you will see your fair share of sidecars.....there are 44 entered for this years trial!! Also it is ok for them to be both in the sidecar on such a camber....dabs are lost in the normal way i.e. when a body part touches the floor, tree etc.

You will also learn to love their unique drinking talents!!

BobM - When did you ride the Manx two-day? I am asking cause next year is our 50 year anniversary and I am collecting peoples thoughts and experiences from the past. (I'm on the committee so any stories are welcome)

My dad used to ride sidecars and was IOM centre champion 3 times in the early eighties, so as a kid I always wanted to ride sidecars....but now not so sure. Looks like hard work!

29er - thats the proper side! ;o)

Heh ,Heh !

Aye , my comment was in jest to you euro's that drive on the wrong side of the road ! :)

Funny though , that the few I have seen here in the states , the driver is on the left . It would seem best for the driver having the chair on his right taking advantage of the throttle . ( If you know what I mean ? )

Are there rules defining driver/chair sides ?

Colin Appleyard does not sponsor sidecar trials, but they do sponsor Robin Lusombe & Les Ashby.

Lusky has won the Britsh sidcar championship 12 times. Must make him the most successful trials rider in any class?

Yeadon & guiseley run a british sidcar championship round on the 19th september @ dob park, Otley. Which is open to solo riders on both clubman and championship course. Good day out on a bike (if sidcars can do it, it must be steady! ) Good day out for both twin shocks and modern bikes.

Regs available from the club website

Yeadon-Guiseleytrials.co.uk

Closing date 4th September

:rolleyes:

Cubby

You got me thinking about the times I did the Manx. I went looking for my competitors badge, I found it, but the dangly bits with the years are missing - Bloody Kids! I think it was around 79 through 83

First time was with Jeff Meehan in the chair, I was still married to number one wife, I was on a 350 Bulto, in between crashing and fixing Jeff's injuries we spent a lot of time p***ing ourselves laughing, we got completely p****d on Saturday night and rode a lot better on Sunday, we looped the outfit on the steps and nearly caused a major accident, I had to bandage Jeffs hands on Sunday morning and threaten him with nasties to get in the chair, we got tottally p****d again on Sunday night and ended up having naked tricycle races up and down Douglas prom outside the hotel!

I did one year with my brother Neil in the chair. We had a great time and turned in some pretty good rides. As on previous trips we got p****d again on the Sat night with Neil getting to know the landlords daughter in the biblical sense later on! He rode a lot better on Sunday also!!. One memorable section was in a quarry on the mountain where a vertical drop off near the end of a section was catching a lot of crews out. So we reasoned that we needed to drive off the edge to clear the section, well I don't know whether it was the beer or Neils sudden surge of hormones as we got through the first part of the section and climbed onto the small plateau before 'the drop' Neil suggested that we take our theory a bit further and try to jump through the end cards, sounded good to me so I clicked the trusty Bulto up a gear and launched. Well, in the development time of this theory we had forgotten the tendency of the chair to want to rotate around the bike and we consequently went through the ends cards upside down and landing like a ton of bricks! The first understandable words from either of us was 'CLEAN??'!!!!

I wish I could afford to get back there for the 50th next year - I will have to keep buying lottery tickets and hope!

BobM