Week 67 - Fuel For Thought

Andy

rapley_header_beta.jpg

Just about twelve months ago I wrote in this column that in my considered opinion, the 2007 Scottish Six Days had been too hard. As I recall, I remarked that the section plotters had toughened up a significant number of groups by siting the sections further up the gullies which generally made them harder.

That column created significant comment on this site, and as I now look back at it, there were over 7100 hits to the column and some 79 postings. I don

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Felt that after Dougies low scoring that some sections were made more severe than normal. Fridays in particular they were very severe- the last section (5) at Pipers burn was too long, as were many. It was a struggle on this section at Pipers even before non stop rules

As you say Mike, all that you have written on the SSDT pales into insignificance if 2008 is to be the last SSDT!

There is an answer out there, it's the finding it that is going to be the hard part.

This one is extremely serious indeed.

Another part of the Army decided in 2002 that it was giving up the refuelling, I was personally involved in that myself at that time. Many people have said to me at Fort William "what about the petrol companies doing the refuelling themselves after all they refuelled the SSDT back in the 1960's and 1970's?".

In short they don't do it as they do not have the equipment, they can't do it.

I am delighted that this matter is in the public domain right now as the Edinburgh club wasted time in 2002 by not making the problem public quickly enough, that was my personal opinion then.

When it was universally known there was a problem, the solution presented itself quite quickly.

The 2002 crisis was eventually solved by one man, RSM Sandy Mack as he had the contacts within the Army and more importantly the inside knowledge of how the bikes were fuelled, to pull all the strings together in 2002/2003 to ensure the trial survived a further 5 years.

Let us all hope that a solution is found in the next 3 to 4 months otherwise the SSDT will be history.....

Big John

I am delighted that this matter is in the public domain right now as the Edinburgh club wasted time in 2002 by not making the problem public quickly enough, that was my personal opinion then.

I applaud Mark for admitting up front there is a problem (which he did publicly last night so there's no problem in talking about this). By being up front now there is a far better chance of finding a solution. However, don't just sit back and think a solution will come along. This is a SERIOUS threat to the future of the SSDT. We now live in a society where you can't even breathe without approval. Personal refuelling is not an option. We've been here before. When John refers to 2008 being potentially the last ever SSDT he is NOT kidding. It really could be unless a fuelling solution can be found for next year. Stick the feelers out and ask everybody you know.

Rather than a van full of 5 gal fuel cans going out to each location, wouldn't it make sense to have some alloy 100 gal fuel tanks made up that would sit tight between the wheel arches on the floor of a van or bed of a pick up, with well engineered securing straps/chains to keep them in place.

With a proper filler cap and hose for filling the bikes, they then could be filled at the gas station, use rental vans, and remove and store the fuel tanks after each event.

Got to be some lads on here who know what will meet requirements for a fuel container, they don't drive the logging or heavy equipment down the gas station each day, so there must be some sort of standard.

Some good posts here already and maybe I can fill in with how it has happened in the past, how it happened this year and why the Army arn't doing it anymore.

Sandy Mack...............................happens to be a very good friend of mine and no doubt he will fill in any details, but as Mark said on Saurday night Sandy managed to get the re-fuelling sorted to enable the trial to go ahead and doing so got the ''Willie Dalling Best Endevour Award'', maybe some of you think it should have gone to a rider who put in the best effort all week to get to the finnish, but lets go back a few weeks and see what has happened?

January all entries out and all confirmed the trial is on, they need fuel? the Army is similar to any other company and has been cut with their budget year after year, in previous years this has caused many problems but this year it was a Bl**dy nightmare. With troops and vehicles in many conflicts over the world you would still think it would be easy to find 7 Land Roers and Trailers, well Sandy was phoning every unit that could provide these once he got them the unit would phone back and pull the plug either with the vehicle being deployed or broken down. Then there was the man-power that was slightly easier, but still a massive headache he got the guys but really needed somone who knew what they were doing, Jack Johns stepped forward, but was in NI and managed to fly over at the last minute to organise the 2-stroke/4 stroke ratios.

So by this time it was the Friday the week prior to the trial, hopefully with all vehicles picking them up from several camps on route to Scotland along with the man power, however he still needed permission from Division to allow this re-fueling to take place, they would only give permission if in their eyes it is benificial to soldiers training!!!!! That permission was given on the Tuesday!!!! so the trial was finally on bit of a close call, but he got there, or so he thought.............

Shortage of fuel in Scotland hits the headlines, as it was so hard to get the Land Rovers and trailers it was impossible to get a tanker as used in previous years, so it was decided to fill up 800 ;) 20 litre jerry cans at the BP garage in principal that alone sounded like a nightmare, but with the media hype and notices on garage forecourts advising drivers only to fill up 1 x 5 litre cans the press would have loved to get hold of a picture of the Army filling up 800, the Division that Sandy had finally got the permission off were thinking of pulling it at the last minute, so yes folks it was that close.

So well done Sandy, I and many that know you applaud you for what you have done. Why can't it continue, cut backs, conflicts etc. etc. and Sandy is leaving the Army after 23 years enjoy it mate.

The club have got a major headache and I truelly hope they get somethig sorted, running round with a load of cans in a hire vehicle is the way some people used to do it in the past, Insurance wise I dont think that is possible and then there is the envoiromental issue finding a company that can re-fuel in the field all of these the Army could do, I am sure a civillian company could do it , but........................

at a cost!!!!!

Edited by GIZZA5

Thanks for that info Gizza5 - It certainly shows how much effort goes on behind he scenes for an event like this.

Time to get our heads together and find a solution me thinks !

Ok how about this for an idea?

This is Scotland after all and a large portion of our income comes from Oil. We have all the major oil companies on our door steps. If we could get one of them to sponsor the fuel and maybe give them title sponsorship as well surely the club could pay for a 3rd party to actually handle the logistics and delivery. It may take a bit of re-planning but I'm sure a few more stops could be brought nearer to a public road to make delivery a bit easier too.

It's up the club to start approaching the oil companies NOW but rather than a few phone calls a fully detailed request should be formulated giving the history or the event and the importance of it to the local community. I work for Chevron in Aberdeen and although I work in the upstream business I could probably at least get some names of who in our downstream (pump fuel) side of the business you should contact. I'm sure there are others reading this who have contacts in the other major oil companies.

Castrol, Shell, Repsol, BP, Total/Elf are only a few who already actively promote themselves through motorsport and who else can offer the historical connection to the sport more than the six days.

Just to complete the Sandy Mack story that Gizza5 started - while Sandy was doing all of the above he was also managing the Army SSDT team - organising bikes, gear, riders, accommodation, transport, etc etc. He got everyone up to Fort William and got the team fired up and started the event. On Tuesday in the last group of sections Sandy was standing beside some bikes when an unidentified rider knocked over several bikes which landed on Sandy trapping him and putting a footrest through his leg. the injury was so bad he had to be rushed to hospital where his leg was stitched up. His Scottish was over - after all of the effort and hard work he put in, he didn't even get to finish the event. - I'm sure you'll agree that if anyone ever deserved an endeavor award it is Sandy - well done mate.

On the subject of refueling - please realise that we have a real problem here - many people i spoke to about it finished up by saying "you'll find a way - we'll see you again next year" - however at this moment in time we cannot see a way - there is a real possibility that the 2008 SSDT was the LAST. - it is that serious.

The problem could be eased if bikes were fitted with bigger tanks but the transporting and storage of petrol is a legislation nightmare, and even with fewer checks the problem is massive.

I do not know how other motor sport eg. Rally support, is managed but we will have to start asking around very quickly.

I do not know how other motor sport eg. Rally support, is managed but we will have to start asking around very quickly.

I'm pretty sure the Rally teams and their support crews deal with this issue. By the same token that would then point the fingers at the factories but I somehow doubt they could handle the logistics either.

Really depressing the thought of this but with the harsh realities of life these days there is a certain inevitability to it. I wish I had the answer.

A serious situation indeed, and as previously said one that we all need to look at and and think about ,

It seems unthinkable that we may be facing the end of this fantastic sporting event.

Would it be possible for the committee to give us an outline of the fueling requirements, ie how many litres are required at each stop,

how many stops, and any info that may help should some one find themselves talking to someone who may be able to help, A chance meeting

may well be how the solution is found and better if we are knowlegeable on the subject.

One thought is transport should someone be talking to 4x4 hire companys they may be interested in providing jeeps or pick-ups at cost or better still sponsorship. The cost of hiring vehicals will be high

The idea of some sort of large fuel sorage tank for the back of a pick-up seems good as purchasing jerry cans may be very costly, then again the size of the container may be restricted by law.

I see fish farm pick-ups every day filling up at my local garage with 15-20 jerry cans so I`m not sure if it is that difficult to get permissions or whatever is required as it would appear that it is not just one of the workers who carries out this task it can be any of them.

I`m sure licences will be required perhaps Scottish fuels or other local fuel distributers may be able to hire a suitably qualified person to the ssdt for the week to manage the fueling and be the responsible person. or they may be prepared to sponsor a couple of guys to get there ticket.

Are there any tanker drivers out there willing to help as I`m sure they will hold the tickets required but they may be restricted to carrying out their employers buisiness.

Lets stay positive and get our thinking caps on

Whiz

The problem could be eased if bikes were fitted with bigger tanks but the transporting and storage of petrol is a legislation nightmare, and even with fewer checks the problem is massive.

You now have contacts within the McRae circles. Despite their own coming to terms with things, we've found Colin's family, especially Jimmy, exceptionally helpful with the Subaru tribute event we're holding for Colin in August. Have a chat with them. They won't be able to help directly, but may be able to point you in the right direction. Also when this all flared up back in 2002 I was in the middle of talks with Shell Motorsport. That died a death as you know, but again, they might be worth approaching.

what about the current british championship sponsor????? with there buisness in 4x4 sales and trials they may be able to provide vehicles??

I could ask around the RAFMSA if we could sort out something, but if the army can't do it then the RAF will be in the same position. Although I do think we will be able to muster up some personnel between the services to aid with the re-fueling.

I'll do some digging.