New Member Wanting Some Bike Advice

nitropaul

Hi, thanks for reading this. I am wanting to get into motorcycle trials as it looks really good fun. I have started speaking to local clubs to get myself started in that way. Very soon I will be needing to get myself a trials bike to play with. Now i am thinking that as a begineer who hasnt really ridden a motorbike before, i need to get myself a starter bike. Something that doesnt cost too much and is easy to learn on. After reading some things on the net it looks like i should be looking for a bike of around 250cc as I am 26 years old and a 125cc may be a little underpowered. Can anyone advise me on some bikes that would be suitable please. Would

Hi and welcome here , But get a small dirtbike of any variety and learn the basics of riding first ... as trials bikes are EXTREMELY responsive and hard to learn how to ride on . Then once you get the basics of how to operate a bike , then go to a event near you and ask about a small displacement used bike ... And then PRACTICE , PRACTICE ....

IMHO , Glenn

nitropaul Welcome!

With all respect to axulsuv - I really must disagree. :D Trials is an excellent way to learn to ride, as it focuses on technique rather than just balls to hide your mistakes. The bikes are difficult to stall, generally don't want you to push past breakneck speed, wich you won' t bust yourself up much when you have that first stack.

Good work on contacting a few clubs, sounds like you are on your way already. As for what bike, I guess the options you have are a late 90's or an older twin shock machine (for that money). Depending on your level of mechanical skill I would simply go for the best running bike that you can source, as if you have one riddled with issues I think you will become dis-illusioned with the sport. (we all do after a bad day anyway!! -it's that kind of sport :D )

For this reason I would also suggest contacting some dealers, who may have old trade-ins and offer you some support to give you a hassle free intro to the sport.

Anyway - welcome and Goodluck!

:(

if i was in your shoes i would either go for a beta techno or a yamaha ty. the techno would be the better option in my eyes as they are slightly newer and extreemly reliable. the ty would be good but is heavier and not watercoold. however these would be cheeper to buy and work on.

as for the dirt bike, if you are a total novice then yes get a cheep one. but if you have ever rode a motorcycle of any description then get a trials bike.

max

Edited by yamahaty250xox

hi Nitro,

a ty mono is a good place to start but dont buy it on ebay without seeing first. take a grown up with, er sorry, take somene who knows what they are looking at. 600 quid should be ok. Maybe just get some practice or follow a trial round to start with. if you really do not know how rthe clutch gears etc work, then start on a flat field without rocks and things to ride into. Move on from there. A Techno is also good but is more lively compared to a ty 250 i think.

Just for info. A 125/200 modern bike would be very suitable for a beginner also.

HTH

Edited by Lee Harris

Let me clarify ! quote , " Now i am thinking that as a begineer who hasnt really ridden a motorbike before " My point was to learn how to ride a bit first , before investing in a trials bike , And I agree with most everyone else that a ty or early beta would be a good choice !

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

Regarding what size of bike,a modern 125cc is more than powerfull enough,espacially for a beginner.My son has a 125 gasgas,it has more than enough power,even for someone like me at 42 years old.Its very docile at low revs,which is good for beginners,but when you open it up,it will go up the side of a house!!