Shock Settings

frontroomautos

Can anyone advise me on why my shocks seem far to soft, the rear mudguard si very near my tyre when I stand on the pegs. The bike is a Honda TLR200 & the shocks are brand new Falcon Gas Shocks. I havnt wound the springs on yet as I dont want to touch them incase i have to send them back. I specified my weight which is around 80kg's so they should be ok. The thread on the shock bodies is about half way, should i just wind em up. There is no gas damping adjustment, it should be all on the spring as regards the sag and there aint any when the bike is standing but as i say it seems far to soft when i sit or stand on the pegs. Has anyone else experienced this with Falcon Gas shocks?

Increase the preload till you get half travel with you on the bike in riding position. Yes just wind in the spring seats.

You won't be able to tell if the springs are the right rate for you until you set the preload. You will have the right rate springs when you have 50% sag with you on board and about 5mm sag without you. If you set the sag to 50% with you on the bike and there is no sag with you off the bike, you need higher rate springs.

I would have thought for an 80kg rider on a TLR200 that either 50 or 60lb/inch springs would be pretty close. Falcon springs are usually engraved on the flat part at the end with the rate.

Once you get the springs right, then start thinking about the damping.

Yes I did experience this with my first set of Falcons (springs being too soft) and since then I have specified which spring rate I want when I buy them.

Edited by feetupfun