4-stroke

tombo46

with more information/pictures/video's of the new 4-stroke its all starting to get pretty exciting (well, for me anyway).

Ive always liked 4 stroke power and had a crack on a few 4rt's, but ive always been put off by the weight of them. the new GasGas 4-stroke will weigh a touch less than the current 2008 2-strokes so theres no worries about weight.

however what is worrying is how reliable the bike is going to be. has the bike been tested enough? would you stay away from it for a year and see if any teething problems arise? or would you just risk it (like me).

Also Gas Gas will want to promote the bike as much as possible, do you think we will be seeing raga on it next year?

Ill reserve my judgment on it until I ride it but cant help feeling excited about it!

All the best

Tom

I hope the Gasser 4 stroke will work out well for them, but from my own experience the Gassers tend to fall to bits pretty quickly even if you look after them well and chuck parts at them. The major problem with a 4 stroke going pop is the cost involved putting it right, thats why I have only been tempted by the 4rt so far, not heard of any of the others blowing but the Beta seems to have a few other problems still.

I saw a video of Tarres on the 4 stroke and maybe it was the video but it sounded like a bag of nails and on some of the steps even Tarres got caught out by the run on of the motor. I would as any new bike give it a while,certainly get the first couple of batches out the way before buying one, could turn out to be the best 4 stroke yet..........but doubt it

Gassers tend to fall to bits pretty quickly even if you look after them well and chuck parts at them.

First off, that's not my experience of gassers, and I've owned 4.

but it sounded like a bag of nails

Yeah, I agree. The sound turned me cold but apparently it's characteristic of sidevalves.

Otherwise, would I buy one in the next year or two. No. Gassers, in spite of my statement above, do have a habit of screwing up the first year or twos production. After that, I'll see.

Oh, you two, are your avatars a "before/after" sequence?

I am waiting anxiously too. I currently have a Sherco 4t which at the moment I beleive is the cream of the crop by far! I am also hoping that because GG has been carefully doing much development work with theirs, that it will be right from the get go! Six speed, fuel injected, and lighter than any other 2 stroke sounds pretty good for me! I have no issues with the GG reliability at all, nuff said!

Wow, if you can tell what Jordi Tarres is thinking just by watching a few minute video, then you are in the wrong profession me thinks :thumbup: . I have been told that the new 4T will be cheaper than all the rest, and possibly only $500 more than the current 2T GGs. Another good point!

however what is worrying is how reliable the bike is going to be. has the bike been tested enough? would you stay away from it for a year and see if any teething problems arise? or would you just risk it (like me).

Also Gas Gas will want to promote the bike as much as possible, do you think we will be seeing raga on it next year?

1) I would defo would stay away for the first few batches, see what they are like - I would do the same for any trials bike, car, TV etc etc

Already seen a couple of 'Gas Gas quality' replies which to my mind a gibberish, if you look after anything it will stay good. Had 6 Gassers now and they have all been fine apart from a couple of very minor niggles. I had a Beta for 7 months last year and while I never had a problem with it, if you look over Beta forum there are defo more issues ranging from small niggles to massive issues that have been known about for years - fuel leaks and stators.

2) No way on earth will Raga be on the 4T, Freixa almost certainly, but not worth Raga riding yet as he will want to be in with a shout at the world championship again and the 2T is the only way for that to happen

As for price, if they say only

with more information/pictures/video's of the new 4-stroke its all starting to get pretty exciting (well, for me anyway).

Ive always liked 4 stroke power and had a crack on a few 4rt's, but ive always been put off by the weight of them. the new GasGas 4-stroke will weigh a touch less than the current 2008 2-strokes so theres no worries about weight.

Ill reserve my judgment on it until I ride it but cant help feeling excited about it!

All the best

Tom

Tom,

I'm kinda anxious too and have my name on the list for one of the first ones to hit the States. It was a gutsy move to choose a sidevalve (marketing wise) but I think it was a very good choice for Trials. Months back, I wrote an article for Trials Competition News here in the U.S. on the sidevalve engine that they asked to re-print on the GasGasUSA website and I only had the CAD graphic to make my guesses from (before they released the photos of the 09' models) , but I'll probably do what I did when I first got my 02' Pro, take it apart and poke around inside to see what new things they came up with. But, then again, I'm a nut case when it comes to motorcycles and what makes them work......:rotfl:

I would imagine they are still making some final decisions as to the final configuration and I heard they were working on plug placement in the head (critical in a sidevalve engine) and they even might want to consider a dual-plug design which we found worked pretty well when we raced that type of engine. I'm guessing the final engine will be a lot quieter than the video, they don't have to be noisey.

I doubt Raga will be on one soon and the 4T will be a "standard" (clubman) model for the time being, with a "racing" version available in the future depending on ongoing development.

Jon

Id be interested to see what you think to it when you get one, your obviously very mechanically and technically minded so id trust your opinion over anyone elses (all the advice youve given me up to now has been sound). when are they due to come in? any ideas?

Tom

Id be interested to see what you think to it when you get one, your obviously very mechanically and technically minded so id trust your opinion over anyone elses (all the advice youve given me up to now has been sound). when are they due to come in? any ideas?

Tom

I haven't heard any timeline as yet, Tom, but the usual new year release is around October+- here in the U.S., but with a totally new model it will probably be different. I was up at the Ute Cup in Colorado this weekend and saw the 09' Raga in action. Very impressive.

I expect some minor teething problems, as you normally would with any radical, totally new design, but nothing that can't be sorted out and dealt with. They are using some design parts from the Pro so that should eliminate some problems to start with. GasGas, like the other brands, is good about constantly updating their bikes and having those updates fit all earlier models and the importers here back their products. You can spend countless hours testing and developing, and a ton of money on a childproof cap for a medicine bottle, but the real test is giving it to the kids to play with.

The Sherco 4T, for instance, got a bad rap when first released and unfortunately a few riders still base their opinion on past results but it was, and still is, a good basic design and you can't go wrong buying one. I've probably got an above-average amount of understanding and experience of the complexities of chassis/engine design and it's my opinion that I don't think you can buy a "bad" Trials bike nowadays and all the brands are trying their best to put out the best possible product they can. Considering the fact that the Trials bike market is relatively small in comparison to others, there are a huge bunch of engineers and designers bending over backwards to make us happy.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the launch has been put back to the end of 2009 or early 2010.

Well, poop. I can't wait to take one apart.....:iamwithstupid:

I don't recall if I mentioned an article I did on sidevalves for Trials Comp some time ago (based only on the computer design model and before the videos/photos were released), it's reprinted on the GasGasUSA website: http://www.gasgas.com/trials_home.htm .

Jon

Went back and saw that I did, disregard this post......

Edited by JSE