14 & Under Riding Soon To Be Illegal In Ma?

sting32

As seen elsewhere on the net.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

As clipped............................

State Legislation Would Make It Illegal for Anyone under the Age of 14

to Operate an ATV, Dirtbike or Snowmobile

Joint Committee on Transportation rewrites restrictive bill -- still

bans youth riding

Senate bill 2735, which is a rewrite of House bill 3592 by the Joint

Committee on Transportation, would make it illegal for anyone under the age

of 14 to operate an ATV, off-highway motorcycle or snowmobile. It would also

limit operators under the age of 16 to dirtbikes, ATVs and snow machines

with 90cc or less of engine displacement. Anyone born after January 1, 1990

would be required to complete a "recreational vehicle safety and

responsibility course" before they could legally operate an off-highway

vehicle.

Furthermore, the legislation would authorize the director of the office of

environmental law enforcement to further increase the minimum age for

dirtbike, ATV and snowmobile operators at a later date.

The Senate postponed acting on the re-write in its last meeting but could

take up the matter as soon as June 26th.

The AMA urges riders to contact their state senators with their opposition

to this bill. A personal letter or phone call is recommended but a

prewritten email response is provided through the AMA's Issues & Legislation

service.

It would also

limit operators under the age of 16 to dirtbikes, ATVs and snow machines

with 90cc or less of engine displacement.

I hate to open this can of worms but this is what i expected to happen it was just a matter of time

The current thinking with 99%of the people in our trials community out there is that our youth riding 125s will help our youth catch up to the Eropeans does that mean being forced to drop back to 80s will make us pass them????

This is the exact reason ive been against forcing kids to ride 125s (hasnt happened yet but talked about) How could we have complained about legislation like this if we had adopted a 125s only youth class. Then again maybe this legislation is what some want in our sport if so whats the next law bicycles untill age 14????

Dont get me wrong i have nothing against rhe 125s and with almost everyone going to the 125 it may the best way to go?????? I just feel there ought to be a choice and so far that choice has remained. Those if any who would like to see the youth nationals a 125 only event to me will help fuel the fire out there of the crackpots who would like to ban youths on trials bikes altogether.

If this is a snapshot of the future for other states around the US, (and I belive it is) that's a pretty dismal scenario. Is the AMA involved in this? Will this potential legislation pertain to events held on private property? Perhaps it will only apply to riding on public property? If it is for public property only it may not impact most trials events as they exist at the present time. I know that in MI we currently have laws in place that prohibit riders under 16 from operating quads over 90cc on public property. In addition we also have a youth safety training program for riders 16 and under on bikes ( this certificate is required for riders only on public property.)These laws have no effect on the many events that are run on private property. Another newly passed bill here in MI is a good one. In MI most counties will now allow ORV's and off road bikes to legally ride on the right side of secondary roads (under 25 mph) to and from trails, camp, gas stations etc. They will need to be in complinace with all of the existing rules that require spark arrestors, Youth Satety Training, sound laws, etc.

I think this could be a good thing if you could up the 90cc limit to 125cc. It would certainly differentiate the legit rider from the pit bike yob.

Ok you cant be serious you must be rattling my cage. Your goverment cant distinguish between a crotch rocket and a trials bike and you think it is a good thing

This is exactly what im talking about Explain Further why you would want to force everyone to ride a 125. I know of a few locals just getting into the sport where the father and son are sharing a full size bike. In remote areas of the US good non trashed 125s arent available and can be hard to sell when your done with them. I have no desire to dictate what some one else rides and cant understand why someone would dictate what i ride. And if im sticking my nose into what someone else rides then someone ignorant of the sport will ban it all together Some of us out there still ride for fun.

Ok you cant be serious you must be rattling my cage. Your goverment cant distinguish between a crotch rocket and a trials bike and you think it is a good thing

This is exactly what im talking about Explain Further why you would want to force everyone to ride a 125. I know of a few locals just getting into the sport where the father and son are sharing a full size bike. In remote areas of the US good non trashed 125s arent available and can be hard to sell when your done with them. I have no desire to dictate what some one else rides and cant understand why someone would dictate what i ride. And if im sticking my nose into what someone else rides then someone ignorant of the sport will ban it all together Some of us out there still ride for fun.

My thinking here is that if the limit is 125cc, then this would create a market for bikes of that size and make them more available. Your comments regarding sharing can work for the 125cc as well. Most peeps (who aren't too fat) could easily ride a 125cc in a lot of fun trials and do ok.

The other aspect i was thinking of was UK based really as off-road motorbikes generally have a bad name here. If we have trials riders who have passed a test and show proficiency on a bike, and these peeps then ride and abide by the ACU rules, we then have a strong differential between the yobs and us. This would help in the future as motorcycling becomes more and more scrutinised for adverse legislation.

Just a thought :rotfl:

This issue is dead for now. The motion was heavily ameded in favor of dirtbikes...yet left language in place to enforce fines for ATV violations. It also put in place verbage that would restrict a child under the age of 14 from riding a ATV....maybe a snowmobile too. For those that dont know Mass recognizes ATV's as 3 or 4 wheeled vehicles. I believe it was table until 2010.

It was a win for dirtbike riders. Now the quad and snowmobile groups are enbattled with the lawmakers.

Hey Motofire, Do you know if the law (as originally intended) was going to apply to operation by youth on public property only? Or were they trying to write it so it would include operations on private property?

Hey Motofire, Do you know if the law (as originally intended) was going to apply to operation by youth on public property only? Or were they trying to write it so it would include operations on private property?

Not really sure...I believe the original was to exclude dirtbikes all together but they got lumped in. Also in the original there was language that provided a law for environmental police officers parameters on whether a private trail system was allowable to bu used by dirtbikes and atv's....apparently those parameters were so strict it would make all private systems illegal for use.

My beliefe was that this was to be a state law on age limits...therefore even riding on private systems would bu sugbject.

Also...I stated that this was a "Dead Issue". Thats a very poor choice of words on my part...this will never be a "dead issue" for us.

Check this video out. This is what kept dirtbikes from being lumped in with ATV's. Its a great video!

What a great video. Well thought out. It will hopefully provide a bit of insight to the non riding administrators and public. Hope that it helps. In MI we currently have a requirement for kids 16 and under to complete a safety training program to operate 2 wheeled motorcycles on state owned land. There is no age restriction, just the requirement to complete the course, which is a 4-5 hr one day affair. As a former Safety Trainer for this program, it is a good thing in my opinion. The program really embraces most of the points in the NETRA video. Hope the issue remains buried for you long enough to loose it's momemtum. Perhaps you can introduce some new language when it resurfaces down the line. I can say from experience, that the non riding majority who would like to tell us how we should (or should not) enjoy our sport can easily outnumber and drown out our voices in the public arena. So speak up, write letters, join a PAC for your cause and continue to be heard. Two wheeled enthusiasts in MI helped to create two major political successes in 2008 by speaking up- again and again. Good Luck Motofire and all in MA!

The spark plug that lit this was a woman who left her kid in the care of a neighbor who put junior on an ATV with the result being fatal. It's never ceases to amaze me how suddenly these people become crusaders for "good parenting" which is how she phrased it. Better to blame the vehicle then accept responsibility. Unfortunately the end result would be to destroy a family activity enjoyed by many parents and children.

In the end though it's important to realize that the main reason for laws such as this is not to protect children or the environment but to provide private playgrounds for those that live near these public areas. Massachusetts is rife with horse farms and they are all adjacent to public forests. The power wielded by these people is astounding. Of all the things taxed by the state one of the few things exempt from tax is a horse. No registration fees, no helmet laws, no poop bags on the back of the animal to keep trails clean for other users and yet millions are spent on infrastructure to please the equestrians. Just like the yacht clubs on state land that it recently came out owed the state hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid fees.

I think it's time to start passing laws to limit the influence of these groups and make them pay their fair share.

Edited by Dan Williams

I got it- Instead of an ORV sticker there needs to be an ORA "Off Road Animal (or A**)" On second thought how about the acronym BFA ? The sticker should be placed in a visable location on the rear of the animal or on the rear of the rider. They too should have helmet laws and rider certification. Recycling laws must apply here too. What a can of worms that would be...

But you are spot on right Dan. The same scenario applies here in MI for sure.

strange... from a country that defends the right of freedom of speech and in many states the freedom to own and carry a gun, and they want to ban kids under 14 riding anything motorized!!!

unfortunatly it's becoming the land of the lawywers who defend the right to sue any one they think they can suck some money out of, mostly insurance companys, so naturally the insurance companys have their own lawyers who are the politicly involved and don't want to give out their money