Problem With A Fantic Coach

greeves

Hi Greeves, (Xavier isnt it???)

You should get a can of aceton or brake cleaner and lightly spay around the inlet at idle. If the bike revs up at all. you have an air leak. Check also that the reeds close and are not damaged. It sounds to me like a carby also, can you get another 26mm dellorto carby to try? If you have no chance to borrow one, pm me, I can lend you one if you pay the post to spain and back!!!

Check the wear on the slide, the way the bike looks I expect it to be ok. Take the fuel pipe off and let the gas run out of the tank. I should keep running. If not the breather is blocked. Check the fuel tube as above and them strip the carby into each single part. You must be able to look through all jets. If not then they are blocked. Have a look at the slide, it should be a 50 or 60. The main should be aroung 105-108 and the pilot about 42 isch. If they are close, then it wont be the size causing the problem.

If the problem still exists, and after trying another carby you will have to either sell the bike (to me???, pity spain is so far ;-) or start swapping bits.

Take the flywheel off and look if you see an oil leak at the crank seal. I dont expect so but looking costs nothing

Change the plug and cap.

Maybe take the exhaust off? i have had some run bikes with no chock o-ring. there was so much unburnt fuel in the exhaust that it was closed of!!!

I dont expect it to be an ignition problem; they usually dont work or they do. Some may stop when really hot, but that doesnt seam to fit here.

I assume this problem has started and wasnt there when you bought the bike? If it was always there check that the slide cover on the carby has an o ring, check the cable rubber cover for air leak, check the choke o-ring in the fuel bowl.

If the problem continues after all that, it may be a clutch side o-seal...verty unlikely but the bike will smoke alot or maybe it is an ignition problem. HT coils are cheapest to replace...again, i could lend you a coil and statotr if you pay the postage.

If all else fails, take the head off and look for broken ring or worn born which it doesnt sould like though

HTH

lee

Wow that's some reply Lee, well done.

I know it's not my bike or problem but I love the fact you have taken the time to try and help a fellow enthusiatst.

Greeves - I have never seen a Fantic Coach before, what bike is it based on? the graphics look like 247?

Hola Javier,

I wondered what on earth you were doing with a mono Fantic until I saw the picture - it is a beauty!

If it will start from cold without choke then I assume the spark plug is pretty black? It would indicate to me that the mixture is too rich so not an air leak problem or it would run better with the choke on - it doesn't seem to be getting enough air. It doesn't look to have done any work so I doubt the dellorto is worn out but I had a similar problem on my Honda, check your air filter and the air way to the carb and then clean the pilot jet and air mixute (slow running jet) again - that was the problem with mine. Worth checking the reeds to see if they are gummed up.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Jim

That motor is luvverly in a 240 frame........

Ha ha ha ha.

Lee i was thinking the front end would look great on my 240 maybe we could go half's on the bike...what ya say Greeves.

Just joking with you Javier,good luck with finding your problem.

Edited by bilc0

Thank you Lee, that is a perfect reply. I am shure now I can work it out. If it is an air leak, it must be so tiny, as it only happens when the engine rev. are very low and you open the throttle quite a lot. I will work it out this weekend.

About the bike I think it is the last Fantic

Bilc0, just prepare yourself for Cabrianes (OH yes, he keeps it as a secret, but he is coming to Spain again......and to Barcelona, Meca of the Spanish trials), and prepare that 240 for the "factory rider" to use in the Exmoor Classic.

Hey, Greeves man i hold alot of secrets,this one will scare you,i've only booked a one way ticket.

Ok now you've picked yourself off the floor and sitting comfortably again,im realy looking forward to Cabrianes in october and with a 300 rider entry it's going to be a mind blowing experiance for me.

Yer the 240 will be worked on over the winter months ready for you to ride Exmoor on.Im expecting the factory rider to ride the hard route and go home with the win.

Steve are you winding me up. That motor is luvverly in a 240 frame........

No - I was just impressed with your post.

Some people on here are quick to have a dig whenever they can so I thought a bit of praise when it was deserved wouldn't go a miss.

Praise is so seldom left you thought I was winding you up!!

Hi steve, i was talking about steve winding me up....huh?

Bilco is also a steve and a fantic nut. He told me that greeve (Javier) hat sold him the 305...

all clear??? no not really

never mind

I think we are all fantic nuts reading this. Steve (bilco) occasionally borrows my fantic and thows them up fields and greeves is steve mate coming to the exmoor trial next year...

thats better