On The Road

james_taylor

I am 17 soona dn im wondering if id be able to register my trials bike on the road, its a 125 and i have to have a 125cc bike on the road for at least a year before i can get a bigger bike, would the trials bike count? and also what would i do about insurance? would i be able to get a quote from a standard company or wil i have to find an offroad insurer?

i wouldnt use duel caridgeways and motorways but will this still be bad for the bike? even though i live in a town so i wont be doing much more then 30 and wil probly only use it to get to college and back or just going round a mates

and what would i need to get for it? its a sherco, would i be able to fit a gas gas computer on it?... and what would i do about a number plate, would i get away with putting one of those sticker ones on teh mud gaurd or would i have to fit a real one?

sorry abotu all the Q's :lol:

thanks =D

I suppose it might remain parked outside a college for as long as five minutes before being stolen. Sorry to damp your enthusiasm, I used to ride a trials bike to college but that was in a different world long ago. Better to cycle there and get fitter for trials at the same time.

i'm not sure how well the engine would stand with prolonged higher revving, i'd advise a proper number plate and decent lights as the police will find and reason to take it off you, insurance should't be a problem provided its properly legal i.e. lights tyres and anything else they can throw at you to prevent a payout. you'd be better getting a supermoto, much more fun on tarmac.

To try and be a little more constructive than some I'd say go for it but buy a good strong chain and lock it to something. Getting the bike on the road is easy and depending on age maybe won't need an MOT. If you have to MOT it get a good bike MOTer to do it on a day time MOT. This means you don't need lights of any sort. You also dont need a brake light or indicators as long as you know your hand signals (for when a cop car is following you). You don't need a speedo for the MOT but you need one to ride on the road. A push bike on will do and there are wireless ones in halfords that cost a few quid and work off a pickup you stick to the fork leg and a spoke. Buy Michelin tyres X11 as these are the only tyre I know that has a E stamp and is therefore road legal in the UK. You will need a better number plate than a stick on one on the rear guard but a YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE number board is usually OK though not legal. A legal number plate is a fixed size and is way to big and heavy for a trials bike. I took my bike with number plate to the local cop shop and pointed out the problem also drawing to thier attention that Police even use these number plates on events like the Scottish Six Day Trial. They were happy and as long as you have the PCs name if you need it you should be OK. The bike will be fine on the road but try and avoid long periods of steady throttle especially full throttle. If you do long runs pull up the choke and let it run it a little richer for a while. Again events like the SSDT see trials bikes (yes 125s as well just ask Ishy) run for long period at high speeds on the road with little problem. Trials bikes can get hot and blow a little water out over time so regulary check the water level say once a week or even every few days if you're out a lot.

I don't do it a lot but its great fun and attracts plenty of attention riding in town.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

This may help you all.

It was correct at the time of writing back in 2007 so you'd have to check for yourselves if any of the rules have changed but as far as I'm aware they haven't but that's down to you.

The following is quoted from my own website and is a response from one member (not me!) to another regarding Day Time MOT's etc however it does have relevance to the original question.

My own penneths worth would be that if the bike is going to be used on the road at sustained higher engine speeds then it may be worth while dropping your oil mix ratio down a little. I normally run at 70:1 on my Beta but if I'm doing a bit of road work then I'll drop it down to 50:1 to hopefully make it easier on the engine. Also on the over-run when you've shut the throttle, then I normally pull the clutch in to let the engine idle. This should prolong engine life as the piston isn't belting up and down with minimal lubrication.

I've done a run of 65 miles (standing up all the way) on the Beta, it was more of an endurance than fun and you'd soon be bored of your commute after the initial novelty has worn off. Also as previously stated, the lack of security is a big issue and carrying a heavy chain and lock to keep your bike safe isn't all that practical.

Once or twice would be fun though.

One other thing, you may find that your bike doesn't meet the power to weight ratios which are also play a part in the learner laws - suffice to say if it was a road registered 125 motocrosser or enduro machine, then it would be illegal to ride it on the road on 'L' plates as it has too much power to weight. You may find that even if your 125 trials is less power than a standard 125 road bike, it's lack of weight could take it over the power to weight ratio. You'd have to look into that for clarification yourself and do some maths.

This is a generalisation of the MOT only for some of the components that get checked.

I am a VOSA qualified motorcyle tester.

Tyres

Item 2 Motorcycle Tyres - Motocross or Similar

There is a number of Motocross or similar type tyres on the market with the spacing between the block treads greater than the block width and that have been approved for road use. According to the MOT Inspection Manual guidance these tyres should be failed unless they have an approval marking and MST (Multi Service Tyre) moulded into the sidewall of the tyre.

If a machine is presented for MOT test fitted with any of these types of tyres, you should not fail them just because they do not display MST. If the tyre is marked with an

Edited by YoYo