Tuna Toss

jse

Found this on a blog I subscribe to: Oddee.com that chronicles the oddities of the world. Those Aussies know how to party and I'm checking my calendar for January! Course, here in Oklahoma, WE got the cow chip toss......one of our towns has a festival built around the "Great Toss".

Jon

Tunarama: the Tuna Tossing Festival (Australia)

The Tunarama festival is held in Port Lincoln, on the tip of Eyre Peninsula, over the Australia Day (26 January) long weekend. When the festival began in 1962, it was intended to promote the emerging tuna fishing industry in Port Lincoln. Tuna fishing is now one of the town's biggest industries and Australia's largest tuna cannery is located there. The highlight of the festival is the tuna tossing competition. Ex-Olympic hammer thrower, Sean Carlin, holds the record for the longest toss at 37.23 metres set in 1998.

Nothing like a tender tuna steak, Jon!

Do you fancy a bit o 'tossing? You are short and stout! Probably quite a tosser!

At your age , you might set a record! :lol:

They won't let me enter the cow chip tossing contests here, as it's very

well known in the Trials community that I'd rather shovel it.......

Jon

That brings back some memories. Sean Carlin is an old friend and we where away on holiday with a group over at Port Lincoln when Sean was talked into entering the Tuna Tossing. Sean is a big bloke around 6'6" to 6'8". Used to drive a Subaru and looked out the rear side window when he wanted to change lanes.

See Jon, you are not alone. PA has a bit of tossing experience!

When is the OK event? PA will eventually make his way down here I think! :lol:

"That brings back some memories. Sean Carlin is an old friend and we where away on holiday with a group over at Port Lincoln when Sean was talked into entering the Tuna Tossing. Sean is a big bloke around 6'6" to 6'8". Used to drive a Subaru and looked out the rear side window when he wanted to change lanes."

Sean looks like he knows what he's doing! I had a friend who didn't like using the rear-view mirror and when he turned around to look to change lanes, he's would always steer into that lane (we automatically tend to turn in the direction we look, which is why you don't want to look at a rider coming towards you on a single-track trail, you always look off to the other side) and it was great fun to ride with him....

Copey, the Octobertest is the 18th and 19th of this month. I think Pat and possibly Phil will be there, haven't heard personally from the other Pros but I think Louise Forsley might make it. I'll be out there this weekend setting up and will be there when I get back on the 15th. Come'on up and see us, you know how much we love to hassle Texans!

Jon

I meant the cowchip contest, Jon. When is the great toss off?

Langley/Disney is on the books, plans are for the wifey, dog and all to go and enjoy the weekend! Hope we have good weather!

I will be on a strict limit of OK 3.2 beer! :lol: