Scott Trial - Make-a-wish Foundation

billycraig

Spoke to you at the pegasus trial at the weekend when you told me about last years effort! Good luck this time mate - funds donated.

Wicked cheers :thumbup: Don't talk to me about that trial, i had an awful day :rolleyes: . Did you mean beat Dougie to anywhere in particular? I may make it to the first section ahead of him....

Edited by billycraig

Gutted -_- I set out with the intention of just getting to the finish so to be 21 secs out is both good and bad (more bad though).

Thanks to everyone that sponsored me and/or shouted at me during the day. Learnt a lot again and proved my training and nutrition plan was almost right so I'll be busy refining it again during the next year ;)

Hand Picture

My left hand degenerated again, last year it went by section 9, this year it lasted until 53ish when i took a trip over the bars and had the bike land on my head :D

I said (along with someone else but i don't remember who, must be the bang on the head) that i'd double my donation if i beat Dougie. Technically I'm counting that as beating him :guinness: so I'll be reaching into my student overdraft once again.

One of my bike sponsors said that they'd double the total if i finished so hopefully i should have made around

Well done mate. We saw you at Surrender and just before Goats and you were going really well. To lose out by 21 secs is a bu$$er after 80 odd miles but as Perce said, I think, you have a fantastic idea of what is necessary next year. Here are some shots of Surrender.

billycraigSurrender1.jpg

billycraigSurrender2.jpg

billycraigSurrender3.jpg

And this is what Fugi looked like by the time he got there.

fugisurrender1.jpg

Edited by Wherry

Well done mate. We saw you at Surrender and just before Goats and you were going really well. To lose out by 21 secs is a bu$$er after 80 odd miles but as Perce said, I think, you have a fantastic idea of what is necessary next year. Here are some shots of Surrender.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bash.d/billycraigSurrender1.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bash.d/billycraigSurrender2.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bash.d/billycraigSurrender3.jpg

And this what Fugi looked like by the time he got there.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bash.d/fugisurrender1.jpg

Wicked shots thanks ;) Yeah your right, I've just spent 3 hours designing another training plan to take me through to the Scottish and next years Scott. Pretty impressed with the improvements i made in fitness over last years so fingers crossed a few refinements should see me there next year a tad faster. Got 2 weeks off from training now and then I'm starting training for next year, hopefully dedication can make up for lack of talent. :guinness:

What a great effort mate, I can't applaud you enough, I had a go myself for the first time this year, you'll know what I mean when I say that you can't put into words just how hard the Scott is.... both physically and mentally.

Talk about under estimating the scale of the trial, I have watched it for the last 3 years and really fancied a go... I set my goal (dream) of trying to get to the finish, either in or out of time, and guess what, I got nowhere near !!! I didn't even get through a 1/4 of the Sections !!!!

After 15 sections I took a trip over the bars and dislocated my fingers on my throttle hand, a deep hole jumped out on me on a flat out section of the moors.. to say that I was quite happy that my fingers were all displaced just shows how knackered I was and how much the Scott trial messes with you mentally, I have never ever done anything quite so extreme....

After the first 10 miles I was wishing I was riding a Beta, or something with half a chance of breaking down, as the Montesa 4RT I was on just kept on going !!! I would have paid for the thing to blow up !!!!

I really enjoyed the trial however (after a hot bath and some strapping on my fingers) and I have given myself the task of getting a whole lot fitter and giving it another (proper) go next year. If I can make it further than this year that will be my achievement, I won't even contemplate getting over the finish line... that would be a dream...

if you could give any advice on fitness plans, I would be more than interested to have a look just to see what you have put yourself through this year to achieve what you did.

Anyway, I will stop aggravating the finger injury typing this and I hope to see you next year !!

Dave Askham #76

Hey Dave, Yeah its one hell of a trial, my goal was just to make it round but its changed now to being in time. My program started just after the SSDT with one 20 minute program 3 x's a week. I worked on intensity and manipulated the variables such as tempo of reps and rest periods to get the anerobic effect i desired. I personally didn't feel the need to pound out the hours on a bike or treadmill as its not really aerobic fitness for the scott or trials in general. I did lots of Front Squats to work on being able to hold my posture for such a long time. I ended up doing 60kg front squats which is a serious amount to lift just resting on your arms. I used Sumo Deadlifts to strength my Sacroilliac Joint and avoid back pain. Lots of pull ups at a 45 deg incline and normal ones just for pain tolerance.

Towards the end i really ramped it up but it never went over 40 mins a session. If you can work any longer then its not really hard enough. I also was more focused on my recovery times rather than actual weight lifted.

I put on around 1/2 stone of muscle for both the Scott and SSDT which felt about right, i never suffered with any arm pump or cramp and my food/energy worked pretty good until the final fuel check when i missed getting anything :-(

Let me know what you did training wise and I'll see what i think. When i type up my new plan I'll post it on here as long as you don't beat me next year :guinness: