Scott Trial - Make-a-wish Foundation

billycraig

Billy I am a complete amateur at this fitness thing but isn't aeobic what you really want? and surely long sessions mimic the actual event which lasts for 7 1/2 hours for many?

My pal did the marathon a few years back and embarked on ever longer runs till a few weeks before when he did a half distance wouldn't this be suitable in a bike context.

Also he had a high protein then carb diet what about those.

ps. Your mum and dad are very proud of you and rightly so, some achievement that.

think your training should involve some hand toughening as those blisters look very painful.

Billy I am a complete amateur at this fitness thing but isn't aeobic what you really want? and surely long sessions mimic the actual event which lasts for 7 1/2 hours for many?

Big studies and papers around just now suggesting that the theory that Lactic Acid and exercising Anaerobic conditions is bad for you is a lot of ballocks. Got some stuff about it recently that I haven't read yet but we touched on it at a coaches conference in Norway a couple of years back.

My pal did the marathon a few years back and embarked on ever longer runs till a few weeks before when he did a half distance wouldn't this be suitable in a bike context.

Long sessions are great for stamina/endurance training, that's about it from my experience. Diet very indivuidual but at the highest levels of elite sport they reckon a 60/40 protein / Carbo split

I've got a couple of hundred pics from Surrender and Whaw, haven't had time to go through them yet.

ps. Your mum and dad are very proud of you and rightly so, some achievement that.

think your training should involve some hand toughening as those blisters look very painful.

I get what your saying but the pure physical effort of lugging a bike round becomes anaerobic, its easier to think of a footballer. A coach i train from a Premiership club batters his players with aerobic exercise (or he did till i stopped them), most sports science books state that football is 90% anaerobic 10% aerobic (rough figures from memory as i left my books in my gym). The footballer is making constant sprints etc not running at a steady state as in a marathon.

In trials especially the scott and ssdt us lower level riders are def not at a constant state. I don't think anyone will ever do a research study on it as theirs not really enough interest (maybe i'll do my dissertation on it if i get enough volunteers) but from my research i was happy enough to work around 80% anaerobic 20% aerobic. Its hardly a blind study but i didn't suffer with arm pump, cramp etc all day so I'm pretty happy with it for now as it was a massive improvement over 2007.

Diet is very very individual, marathon runners typically carb load which causes calcium balance issues (stress fractures). I personally need a pretty high protein diet so my snacks for the day were 1/2 a banana, 1/2 a lamb burger and a bit of raw goat yogurt :guinness: all carried by my trusty mother who incidentally used to eat a massive carb diet and ended up quite ill from it.

Yeah their great parents, followed me all round europe doing world biketrials and their still loving it now. Not many sports nowadays where whole families support each other, ex world champions help riders through sections rather than storm off when their days over and riders politely ask if they can come through and then say thanks (dibs, wiggy and graham)

Hey Billy, Thanks for the response... you really have taken this a darn sight more seriously than me, I am 32yrs old, have smoked half my life and have the lung capacity of 2 packs of Wotsits. The Breathing aspect of trials have always been my problem and about 3 months ago when on a local trial, 2 and a half laps into a 10 section 4 lapper, my head was beetroot red and I needed to lay down.... I decided there and then that I had smoked my last ciggy, something I have been promising myself for years and years, Finally I have managed to crack the habit, the lung capacity is up to wotsits grab bags and improving daily !!!

I am approx 12 (ish) stone (the mrs is laughing) and quite athletically built, I have ridden trials since I was a wee boy, so I have always had a reasonable upper body strength....

My 'Training' was more swimming related, on the 2 week all inclusive break I took the first 2 weeks of October in Cuba.

My 'arm work' consisted of mostly half pint glasses of amber nectar as the pints were getting warm as I am quite a slow drinker...

I have done a few enduro's historically, and thought that the scott would be more like that, you know, knackered in half an hour and keep plugging away until i see the end or run out of time...

My good mate Ian McMahon #65 this year (I think) has done the weston beach race in recent years and also 'The Tough One' and said the scott blows them into the weeds....

So the training you have done is really a world apart. I like the fact that you didn't run for hours on end as I hate running, I though about giving the mountain bike some hammer in the peaks with some gym work and a continuation of non smoking would get me closer to the shape required for next year... I am gonna start now !!! well maybe tomorrow....

Any training will be an improvement i suspect... :-)

At the end of the day it's about being bike fit. I suspect Billy's spin round Scotland will have improved strength in a lot of bike related muscles, it also helps the head in that you learn to put up with long days on the bike. After my first Scottish my knees were still hurting come Scott time. I wish I'd ridden a few SSDT's while I was still daft enough to want to ride the Scott, I'm sure I'd have had a few more in time finishes.

Edited by PERCE

Hey Billy, Thanks for the response... you really have taken this a darn sight more seriously than me, I am 32yrs

I am approx 12 (ish) stone (the mrs is laughing) and quite athletically built, I have ridden trials since I was a wee boy, so I have always had a reasonable upper body strength....

So the training you have done is really a world apart. I like the fact that you didn't run for hours on end as I hate running, I though about giving the mountain bike some hammer in the peaks with some gym work and a continuation of non smoking would get me closer to the shape required for next year... I am gonna start now !!! well maybe tomorrow....

Any training will be an improvement i suspect... :-)

Well rehab and performance training is my career and i'm a firm believer in "walking my talk".

I'm 32 as well, at 18 i was eating all the pasta i could lay my hands on and suffering fatigue at World Biketrials as well as numerous injuries. If i knew then what i've studied know i might of actually got there. I weigh 12 stone as well and am quite athletically built so we're on a par there :-)

I haven't been running for over 5 years since i stopped teaching spin classes 4 times a week. From the moment i stopped teaching them and started "training not draining" I've seen my fitness improve with very little time which is what stops most people engaging. The time i do use in perfectly programmed (i'm bound to say that with my

Edited by billycraig

If you take a car and a mechanic ( i love my car analogies), if you dropped the car of at the garage and asked for increased performance you'd expect that he (or she) may swap the air filter to help the car breath a little, he may also check the structural integrity of the car and ensure its aligned. If you returned to find he'd taken it out for a blast down the motorway for as long as it could manage you may have a few words ..

I'm thinking it's gonna take a while to get a lorry trained (errr tuned) up? :guinness: