Scott Tyre Pressures

moulder75

Bigwigg said 7 & 5 I think but that would go up a little I guess when riding.

The front at much more than this would be too hard I'm thinking. You have a thick front tube in though?

I don't think it would help arm pump etc if the front wheel is that hard the tyre is part of the suspension.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

I used to run normal pressure 6 and 4 and only ever had one puncture and that was the year I was out of time .

My theory was if you have higher pressure you have less grip and therefore spend more time pushing the bike than riding it, especially if its wet. Your not really much better off in terms of time and you have lost more in the sections with higher pressures.

I've always believed that the softer the tyre, the less likely it is to puncture. My reasoning is that a tube blown to say ten pounds, whilst it is still encased in a tyre, is thinner than a tube inflated to say three pounds.

The analagy I'm working on is that it's easy to puncture an inflated balloon, but more difficult to puncture one with no air in.

I know that when I rode enduros for 13 years, and many of those years were prior to riders using mousses, I always rode with tyres far softer than most of my rivals and punctures for me were virtually unknown - but that could have been because I was a) slow, or :thumbup: better at picking my route rather than hitting everything!

Hillarys final line is the most apt. avoid the worst lines take a little time in the section and as was pointed out earlier unless your a leading light surval has to be the aim so as we all know its much harder physically to foot out of a slippy section than it is to ride out. so for me nice thick tubes, a pound or so more than normal and ride to finish the course.

lots of dry clothing gloves etc at fuel stops and take time to get a proper drink when you can the 15 seconds it take will be repaid when you dont make a mistake through dehydration..