Did Ccm Do Trials

bigdamo

...And this one used to reside in my old man's garage.....

That Donald, if you look carefully, is a Can-Am. I doubt one of those lived in your dads garage.

BigDamo, sorry to confuse you. The second pic I posted (and the one to which Donald referred) is of a Can-Am. When the 2 stroke CCMs were rebadged as Armstrongs they were sold in the US and Canada as Can-Ams. But the 4 strokes were only ever CCMs.

The Can-Am was the first pic I found.

Didn't know you were a second gen Don.

That Donald, if you look carefully, is a Can-Am. I doubt one of those lived in your dads garage.

The Can-Am was the first pic I found.

Didn't know you were a second gen Don.

I know what I'm looking at.....

Dad bought Curt Comer's bike direct from the CCM Factory. It had only done three or four days of the Scottish in 84/85?? maybe as late as 86 (#222, need to check the programs, still got the number plates) when he retired with a couple of broken gears; 1 new gearbox and a wash later...... It stayed labelled as a Can-am, Clews even provided the last couple of sets of Can-am stickers with the bike. 320cc Hiro engine, it was lovely to ride .... SOOOOOOO much better than the 250 Rotax version I bought not long after.

As far as I can remember there was only ever officially ONE labelled Can-am it was going stateside to try and sell them but not long after they lost supply of Hiro engines and moved to the rotax engines and if I remember correctly not that many ever found there way across.... would love to get hold of it again.

My dad was born and grew up in Fort William Tim, after Shinty what else was there to do... :huh:

Edited by Slapshot 3

Dad bought Curt Comer's bike direct from the CCM Factory. It had only done three or four days of the Scottish in 84/85?? maybe as late as 86 (#222, need to check the programs, still got the number plates)

I too had a 320cc Hiro Armstrong, exported it to Germany Tax Free having picked it up direct from the factory. It was quite funny really because Alen Clews was there to me us and thought we must have been German ''Heeeloo pleeeeased toooooo meeeeeeeeeeeet yooooou'' like you do when you talk to a foreignor!! ''Alright fellow how you doing, do you normally talk like that'' :huh:

Getting it back to Germany was interesting, as it was 1982 and we had border crossings to cope with, beyond that it was a pretty good bike the only mod I did was to extend the clutch arm to make it lighter, the biggest problem was the German fuel it melted the resin in the fibre glass tank so in the end it was coming out of the bottom as quick as you put it in.

The year of these bikes I beleive are 1984 (Steve Saunders was on them) as they moved to the 350cc Rotax motor which I rode in the 1985 SSDT and then the 280cc Rotax motor with mono-shock (John Lampkin was the works rider then) and I rode this particular bike in the 1986 SSDT

post-516-1225628037.jpg

1985 SSDT BIKE

Edited by GIZZA5

Hello

I had a Rotax 240 engined, alloy box section framed, single shock one with CCM badges.

I contacted CCM direct when looking for parts and they told me they had only made about 100 units like the one i had. (Possibly because it was competeing for sales against the better TY250 mono was about around the same time!)

I saw one on e.bay a while ago and another for sale at the Malvern twinshock show so they definatly exist!!

Cheers

Ah yes the Can-Ams. First year I believe was '83 with a red frame called the CMT 310 with a Hiro motor. Next year same bike, white frame called the CMT 320. After that the 350 Rotax based SWM Jumbo clone in '85. Very scary to ride at least for me and then the 270cc aluminum framed mono the 300AT in '87. My 350's frame number was 853200001. Not sure but I think that meant I had bike number 1. Not sure what the '86 bike was since I didn't own one and my buddys had moved on to Beta by then.

Dad bought Curt Comer's bike direct from the CCM Factory. It had only done three or four days of the Scottish in 84/85?? maybe as late as 86 (#222, need to check the programs, still got the number plates) when he retired with a couple of broken gears; 1 new gearbox and a wash later...... It stayed labelled as a Can-am, Clews even provided the last couple of sets of Can-am stickers with the bike. 320cc Hiro engine, it was lovely to ride .... SOOOOOOO much better than the 250 Rotax version I bought not long after.

I can confirm that what Donald said is absolutely true, I remember Duncan telling me about that very same purchase of Curt Comer's bike only a few months after the deal took place!

As for the 4 stroke CCM's Nick Jefferies and Dave Thorpe (Dan's father) rode them for Alan Clews.

I had a go on two separate CCM 350T bikes in 1978, one belonging to a guy called Mel Ross and the other Dougie Watson. However I didn't think they were as good as my 325 Bultaco (mod. 199) at the time!

Big John

Why would I doubt Donald? :huh:

I was just surprised he could see that the pic was of a Can-Am not an Armstrong.

Good eyesight....and the word Can-Am is much shorter than Armstrong....

I too had a 320cc Hiro Armstrong, exported it to Germany Tax Free having picked it up direct from the factory. It was quite funny really because Alen Clews was there to me us and thought we must have been German ''Heeeloo pleeeeased toooooo meeeeeeeeeeeet yooooou'' like you do when you talk to a foreignor!! ''Alright fellow how you doing, do you normally talk like that''

Getting it back to Germany was interesting, as it was 1982 and we had border crossings to cope with, beyond that it was a pretty good bike the only mod I did was to extend the clutch arm to make it lighter, the biggest problem was the German fuel it melted the resin in the fibre glass tank so in the end it was coming out of the bottom as quick as you put it in.

The year of these bikes I beleive are 1984 (Steve Saunders was on them) as they moved to the 350cc Rotax motor which I rode in the 1985 SSDT and then the 280cc Rotax motor with mono-shock (John Lampkin was the works rider then) and I rode this particular bike in the 1986 SSDT

Didn't the Army team get some sponsorship from Armstrong one year??

They were good bikes, the Hiro engined jobs were tons better than the Rotax's. Biggest problem I had with the Rotax was a silly one. The oil drain plug and the Kickstart return spring bolt were right next to each other, it was a b****** to fix if you got the wrong one........

Didn't the Army team get some sponsorship from Armstrong one year??

Yes they were sponsored by Armstrong in 1985 & 1986 the reason being the Army had signed the contract to take on the Military 500cc Armstong to replace the 250cc 2-stroke Can-Am. We actually took 2 of the prototype machines up to Scotland for a bit of a Road Test !

1985 we rode the 350cc twin shock ''Donkeys''

1986 we rode the 280cc Mon-shock these were actually quite good bikes, but the TY250 built new bridges and the Armstrong although was a new bike was a big step back from the Yam

Here are some pics of 1986...........

post-516-1225724807.jpg