Chain Tensioner !

hoggle

This may sound stupid to you Guys, how do you go about slackening off the chain as the tensioner is now hitting the Swing arm ? Is it as simple as loosening the sail cams and the Chain will then have the desired gap between the Tensioner and the swing arm again ? And also why does the gap recede after a couple of months riding !

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked so a wise man once said........

Perhaps the way you've written your question is confusing me but it sounds like you need to tighten your chain rather than slacken it off?

If the tensioner is touching or almost touching the swing arm then it sounds like your chain is a bit on the slack side? If this is the case then slacken your rear wheel spindle nut and advance your snail cams to tighten the chain, this will cause the gap between tensioner and swing arm to increase. I usually run about 10 to 15 mm gap (fingers width) without any problems.

To hopefully answer the second part of your query, the gap will decrease (recede) over a period of time as the chain and sprockets 'wear' (not 'stretch' as some people say - stretching steel takes a lot more energy than your average trials engine can produce). How quickly they wear is dependent on the quality of chain and sprockets and how well you maintain them.

If I've read your post correctly I hope this helps, if I've just had a senior moment and misunderstood then please ignore me, I've had a hard day !

GJ :huh:

People generally refer to chains stretching because as they wear they get longer (compare an old one with a new one) Some people run the same chain and sprockets untill they are completly worn out, but usually its worth putting on a new chain before this happens, as the elongated chain (not stretched) wears the sprockets more quickly.

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked so a wise man once said........

Perhaps the way you've written your question is confusing me but it sounds like you need to tighten your chain rather than slacken it off?

If the tensioner is touching or almost touching the swing arm then it sounds like your chain is a bit on the slack side? If this is the case then slacken your rear wheel spindle nut and advance your snail cams to tighten the chain, this will cause the gap between tensioner and swing arm to increase. I usually run about 10 to 15 mm gap (fingers width) without any problems.

To hopefully answer the second part of your query, the gap will decrease (recede) over a period of time as the chain and sprockets 'wear' (not 'stretch' as some people say - stretching steel takes a lot more energy than your average trials engine can produce). How quickly they wear is dependent on the quality of chain and sprockets and how well you maintain them.

If I've read your post correctly I hope this helps, if I've just had a senior moment and misunderstood then please ignore me, I've had a hard day !

GJ :D

You have got it spot on regarding the tensioner problem, iv'e only had the Bike for a few months and was wondering why the gap was receding between the tensioner and the swing arm, i now realize what has to be done ! So no, forget about the senior moment, and i should try to be more specific. :huh: and thanks too !