Half Link

airfruit

My beta 125 08 came with a half link in the chain. I heard this is so that the tire doesn't rub that rubber flap that keeps stuff away from the suspension. Anyways, the chain has stretched enough now my rear axle is around the 2/3 out position in the swing arm... I think I can take out the half link because I've used up more than half of the snails. I'm gonna run out of adjustment soon.

Actually I didn't think the 125 needs the half link since I'm already almost at the end of the adjust. The chain is only 3 months old. Even when the bike was new, the rear axle was pull back pretty far, at least half way in the slot...

Should I just go buy a chain breaker and take out the half link? The only problem is the half link is not with the master link. It is about one link away... so how do I put the chain back together? for bicycle we just re-rivet the chain but I'm not sure if I can with motorcycle chain. I don't want to run two master links

Thanks!!!

Edited by AirFruit

I've never seen the point of a 1/2 link ... I mean really what difference is what maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 inch in wheelbase gonna make in the big picture ? I've ALWAYS just replaced chains and sprockets as complete sets and maybe lubed them excessively , but when 3/4 of the available adjustment is gone you truly need new one's anyways ... And like Lee hinted to above , a broken chain can get really expensive ! just cheap worry free insurance on my part ...

Glenn :D

I know that on the Sherco if you get the large snail cams, you never need a half link, because you can cut out a full link when the adjustment is down to zero, and it'll take it back to the point where you have all your adjustment left.

Not sure if that's true of the Beta?

I would imagine that Beta put the half link in because they know a full link chain doesn't fit well with their standard sprocket sizes and geometry of the bike. I don't know a way of taking out the half link without adding another split link, but maybe there is one?

I've never seen the point of a 1/2 link ... I mean really what difference is what maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 inch in wheelbase gonna make in the big picture ? I've ALWAYS just replaced chains and sprockets as complete sets and maybe lubed them excessively , but when 3/4 of the available adjustment is gone you truly need new one's anyways ... And like Lee hinted to above , a broken chain can get really expensive ! just cheap worry free insurance on my part ...

Well, the chain isn't stretched that much at all. When it was BRAND new, I think around half of the adjustment was already used up... I compared my 08 to my brother's 04 beta, my wheel is sitting more than 5 mm back from his setting and his chain is... cough, never changed lol. Iono, I think if I took the half link out initially, it might have rubbed the mud flap thing a bit, but now... there's no way it'll touch it. I don't like it when something is only 2-3 month old and my adjustment is sitting where it should be say if it is a yr old or more hahaha.

Hey betabonkers, how far back is your rear wheel sitting?

Edited by AirFruit

And I forgot to add , that with whatever sprocket combo in use at the time , I always start with as short a chain as will fit with proper chain tension , If you start out on the snug side , your just promoting chain stretch and sprocket wear . And I definitely agree about the aftermarket adjusters , The Trialcast snails I got for my 240 just flat out fit/work much better than the stock fantic pieces . And you modern guys have a much greater selection of adjusters than I did ...