240 Engine Rebuild.

totalshell

just got the barrell back with its shiny new chrome (nickasil really but hey..) new gasket set and piston. anything i should know before bolting them all up again.. couple of things on the same subject. bike has a WES exhaust i've stripped out the silencer wool how much and how tightly do i push the new in ( are they all the same, the 'wools' that is..) and the pipe i've soaked and cleaned with petrol should i use caustic soda as well..

thanks boys first trial with the thing 30 nov.

nothing special really, maybe add some two stroke oil and dont catch the rintg. Some recommend running more oil in the premix for the first tankful? No idea, I dont. Is it an Asso piston or one from Bultaco Uk? Maybe one from Classictrial? Let us know what they are like.

Wes not to tight, not to loose...sure that helps alot

L

the piston has no name but is an italian gol i believe. i've also bought a new kicker rather than repair the original forward kicker. the new is made from stainless and needed assembling ( tricky). it fitted a treat and doesnt touch the engine case at all, i;ve being able to ditch the strap that held the old sloppy kicker in as well.

barral went on a treat, i reccommend putting the carb up near the airbox though as it wont go in after the barral is on and i'd suggest bolting the manifold on before putting the barral on the engine. the whole job is significantly easier if the tank is off the bike through out.

the most important bit though is the exhaust has to go on straight after the barral otherwise it wont go, to get the head on i left the pipe in place at an angle through the frame so it would all squeeze in. the wes box was stripped and apico 'wool' stuffed in place but not too tight. i was reccomended to make the box more staright through whilst it was off but shall keep this for the future as for 15 quid you get enough wool for about a dozen exhausts..

the things all back together and waiting only for juice. i'll let you know when she fires up. scheduled to ride her sat with a view to a local twinshock trial on sunday..