Pandoras Box

totalshell

spent an hour with the spanners (allan keys more precisely) on my 240 pro this evening, as the forks are lacking a little ( alot) i've had the things apart today with the thought of replacing the oil and checking on the springs pre load spacers etc.

so drained the oil ( 220 mil in each leg) and had the top cap off. out came the alloy plug with v. large hex key. immediatly under that was the brass 'tail' of a domestic central heating radiator ( you read that right, being a central heating engineer i couldnt believe my eyes) under that was a 2.5 inch steel tube followed by a big washer and the main spring..

now the question is what should have being in there.. and what is the approx length of a newish spring ( and are new springs available..) oh and how much oil per leg and what viscosity ( i know the parts book says 220 mil but how thick..)

cheers agin.. and anybody want some radiator parts..

Edited by totalshell

:thumbup: Hi TS ,

I've got 3 sets of 240 springs out in the shop ,so I just went out and measured them . The 2 early pairs were 17 inches long and the later set is 18 1/2 inches . One set of forks I've got appeared to be stock , no spacers at all , and the other two sets had a assortment of pre load spacers in them . Wes makes varible rate springs that'll fit the 35 mm marzorhci's . The ones that I run now are in with a 2 inch spacer made out of pvc tube with a flat washer between the spring and pcv , so the spring doesn't wear away the plastic . The Wes springs greatly improved the front end . I currently run 10wt fork oil but may try some lighter weight when I get back to riding , As I found out today wilst moving my toolbox back to work , that I've been laid off while out on disability leave .....

Cheers , Glenn

tough breal Axzul, thanks for the gen on springs, i've spoken to uncle bill pye and a set ( inc spacers) should be in the possesion of royal mail as i speak and hopefully in the bike thursday pm. snow permitting.. ( 3 hours to drive 4 miles this morning..)