Week 97 - Where Have The Four Strokes Gone?

Andy

rapley_header_beta.jpg

Here we are, just a few days before Christmas and finally all the pieces have locked together like a good jigsaw, the ace riders we all enjoy watching have made their decisions, secured their deals and have changed bikes. The changes are significant and unless I

As a four stroke man i love it and yes there has/is been less ridden at trials. In my opinion its a mixture of cant get on with em or there two expensive. Would be interesting to see if montesa could price one closer to two strokes just how many people would buy one. The quality is second to none, no one disputes that, but i guess this is reflected in price.

To be honest i would love a two stroke again but for me the build quality, after market parts and the reliabiliy just holds me to montesa. The new gassers look mint, so light like all the others but the grrunnnnnnnt of the mont is something to behold. Whether im right or wrong in peoples opinion one things for sure mike is spot on with his analysis. I dont agree with everything he writes but on this occasion.BRAVO.

Had one of each brand of modern four stroke over the past few years, starting with the 3.2 Sherco I rode for 16 month, then a couple of SSDT's on the Mont 4rt, rode the Scorpa 250F for the first 8 month of this year, and the Beta REV 4 250 for a couple of month.

All made the trail and distance work a lot easier than any two stroke I have ridden, being able to pull high gears on tight trail just by throttle control, they do bring a grin to your face.

But!! I have not ridden one that is better in the section than it's two stroke sibling, although the Mont, doesn't have a two stroke model to compare with, I rode it two years in the SSDT, on the moors or road full chat it was an heck of a machine, my scores in the sections tell a different story, and that goes for all the four bangers I have ridden.

I can see why people have fun riding four stroke bikes, and not many people in this world ride trials for anything else but fun, but if you are a competitive rider, it makes more sense to me, buying a less expensive machine, that in my opinion performs better in the sections, and I suspect that is why this topic has come about.

I've tried all the four strokes and wasn't that impressed. And that's before you have to learn to ride in a different way.

The thing they had in common was weight!

They all felt a lot heavier than a similar 2 stroke.

I have no doubt that Tony Bou's Montesa is about 110% titanium, bearing little resemblance to the stock bikes either in engine size or weight.

If you really want one perhaps you should wait for the side valve Gasser, lighter, cheaper and I would imagine easier to repair.

No matter whether your favourite ace is riding a Sherco, Scorpa, Gas Gas or Beta, all have a dead equal chance of making the grade

Typo there Mike, probably just trying to catch us out? Scorpa sneaked in the middle there? :D

Even the Scorpa 2T I would lump in with the 4 strokes as it fits perfectly someones description above, and I've described it like this before. You get on it, it feels great, there's just something about it. This has surely got to make me ride well. Results just get worse, but still feels great as you slide down the field.

Edited by bikespace

Everyone of real note is on a 2 stroke. I think a certain Mr Bou and Mr Fuji would disagree on that one and Cabestany has extended his contract with Sherco and will be riding the 4 stroke in 2009.

Probably one of the big factors, especially in this current economic climate, is cost, but we also have the new Gas Gas and Beta Evo models,, which are a significant change for their respective factories and are surely to be popular with riders.

Mind you if the FIM had stuck to its guns, regarding the phasing out of 2 strokes, then this topic wouldn't have even been written.

Edited by Cota Kid

I'm watching this with interest and coming from the point of view of someone who has never ridden a 4-stroke (apart from old Hondas). As a clubman rider, I have known for many years now that the limit of my results is never going to be my bike! I rode a 1992 zero for years and years and sold it when I had to use the money for raising kids. I recently bought a 2001 Rev3. I love new toys and could never own enough bikes, but I've opted for a stroker because it is affordable and it's what I know.

My thinking on the current crop of 4-bangers is what is driving this change? Certainly with road, track and crossers, the drive towards 4-strokes has been environmental. As far as I understand, in california if you fired up a 2-stroke motorcross bike in the middle of a desert, within seconds you would be surrounded by feds clutching face masks! Not just on emissions, but also noise. Our sport isn't such a big noise issue, but I suspect the looming spectre of government directives prompted research to commence on a 4-stroke option. Were it to be a choice between the a 4-stroke and no bike, I'd learn to adapt and as mentioned earlier, we wouldn't be having this discussion!

Having just returned to the sport and with many many years of road and track riding under my belt, it's worth putting some of the cost issues in perspective too. None of us want to plough in any more money than we need to, but if I decided to replace my trials bike every year with a brand new one, I would only be spending about the same as I do on tyres for the track and road! That's regardless of how many strokes! I'm not saying this is correct, but having stepped out of that particular financial death-spiral, the sums involved in trials seem remarkably reasonable!

Graham

Everyone of real note is on a 2 stroke. I think a certain Mr Bou and Mr Fuji would disagree on that one and Cabestany has extended his contract with Sherco and will be riding the 4 stroke in 2009.

I suspect he's talking about the UK and British Championship riders

Everyone of real note is on a 2 stroke. I think a certain Mr Bou and Mr Fuji would disagree on that one

I don't think there is a trials rider who wouldn't want the HRC Mont contract, and I don't think the 2 or 4 would be a factor.

Normally splash out on a new bike every year; so this is what I did in 2006 and bought a 4RT

Does it make me ride better or worse I am sure the latter or that could be that I am going downhill drastically :D

Cost yes the Mont was more expensive, but I have had no need to change my bike every year since. Parts apart from normal wear and tear of the norm! not touched it.

It has done 2 SSDT's a lot of Nationals, and ridden most weekends quality is fantastic; but most of all it makes me :P:banana2::D:D:D

Same as Mark, I bought mine second hand though in November 07 and is without doubt the only second bike I would ever consider buying. Had no problems at all with it,spent next to bugger all on it and for once Ive not lost 1500 quid swapping a 2 stroke every year so in my case its been cheaper than a 2 stroke. I cant see me changing even next year so more money saved and they hold there price better than a 2 stroke. I have some good rides and appalling ones (see ESTC last Sunday) :D but I have never owned a bike over the past 30 years that has given me so much fun whilst riding and thats what its all about isnt it?

Maintaining the 4rt is next to non existant, the bike runs the same every day I go out on it no matter what the weather and although I enjoy playing with the spanners I dont have to spend hours in the workshop after a tough day.

Grip is terrible on the 4rt, but to be honest thats more me than the bike, I was **** on a 2 stroke as well, I can hop the mont as well if not better than any 2 stroke Ive had and its size/weight gives it its stability.

Not changing yet or in the near future

Edited by The Addict