Rare? Honda On Ebay

craig10

might not be common over here but in the US theres a glut of the things. coincidently just read sandhams '' four stroke finale'' excellent read on a subject about which i knew little. i wasnt going to splash the cash on an ebay book as they were going for 90 quid until i saw a post by big john giving details of a reprint and at only 30 quid the book was deleivered next day. nice book loads of pics good for the xmas pressie wish list??

Yes but you wouldn't want to ride one in a trial. I had one in the day and got rid of it before I damaged it and slashed the value. Weighed an absolute ton. More details next time we meet at a trial.

I too had a TL250 in its day. I agree, you wouldn't want to ride one in a trial today. I thought of mine as an "ALPINA" version of a trials bike (remember those!) . It was very agile and light for a trail bike. But woefully outclassed as a trials bike. I actually commuted to work on it for almost a year - check out the comfort of that seat - regularly sitting at 50mph on the motorway. But remember the Honda trail bike of the same time was the portly XL250 with the slab sided petrol tank and a red and black paint job that weighed in around 320lb.

Like the XL, the wet sump 250 engine in the TL is not only heavy it is very tall. Look closely at the photos to see what I mean. And when I say heavy, I mean QEII propeller shaft heavy. Still, I did find that the weight only made itself apparent when you cocked-up an otherwise good approach to an obstacle; such as when you foolishly decided at the end of the day's trial to wheelie up on to the back of your Toyota hilux without using a ramp. The Honda proved robust but the Toyota panel damage was expensive!

Then the RTLs arrived. My TL must have looked at the RTLs in much the same way as the dinosaurs did to the comet that streaked overhead on its path toward the Bay of Mexico.

I too had a TL250 in its day. I agree, you wouldn't want to ride one in a trial today. I thought of mine as an "ALPINA" version of a trials bike (remember those!) . It was very agile and light for a trail bike. But woefully outclassed as a trials bike. I actually commuted to work on it for almost a year - check out the comfort of that seat - regularly sitting at 50mph on the motorway. But remember the Honda trail bike of the same time was the portly XL250 with the slab sided petrol tank and a red and black paint job that weighed in around 320lb.

Like the XL, the wet sump 250 engine in the TL is not only heavy it is very tall. Look closely at the photos to see what I mean. And when I say heavy, I mean QEII propeller shaft heavy. Still, I did find that the weight only made itself apparent when you cocked-up an otherwise good approach to an obstacle; such as when you foolishly decided at the end of the day's trial to wheelie up on to the back of your Toyota hilux without using a ramp. The Honda proved robust but the Toyota panel damage was expensive!

Then the RTLs arrived. My TL must have looked at the RTLs in much the same way as the dinosaurs did to the comet that streaked overhead on its path toward the Bay of Mexico.

I wonder how much the XL based Jefferies Honda that Peter Gaunt rode in the SSDT weighed. Thought I had a photo but it must be in my brother's collection as I can't find it.

Edited by 2/4

Hello gentlemen :huh:

My TL250 is 101kg, 45kg front, 56kg back. some trick pre65 BSA of Ariels are about same. But, it is rare in Europe and the power of the 4 valve engine is just great ! I always enjoy riding it. Sometimes I can even beat the lightweight TLR 250 friends at French AFATA trials. But this is just a side effect. Most important is to bring a different bike at the start and enjoy riding. A pitty, Honda could not sell the 4000 trail Bials TL250 in US, because Mr Millers TL300 would have been a great bike...

Would be great, if there would also be a Sammy Miller Highboy frame or a copy of the RTL 305 for the TL250, as the TL125 beeing reproduced now. Just a wish...

Anyway, I updated my restauration chronicle:

http://www.twnclub.ch/classic_trial_files/...da_tl250_6e.htm

or more on

http://www.twnclub.ch/classic_trial_files/Classic_Trial.htm click left at Honda

Happy 2009! :hyper:

Patrick from Switzerland