Can Ty80 Be Run On Premix?

markshelley

I may have a pump or two. If so, you pay shipping, pump is free. I will check this weekend.

If you want to restore, replace the pump and keep original.

for a rider, pull the pump. Less hassle, known lubrication, idles and runs cleaner, and lighter throttle cable pull.

Can't just remove the cable as then the pump will continue to add oil at idle and idle will be double oiled (some in premix, some from pump) leading to fouled plugs.

Pulling hose and cable works, but eventually the pump without oil can seize.

You can loop the output hose from pump back to tank somehow.

Easiest is to remove side covers, remove pump and gear drive (have to access that from inside the cover) and make a small alum blockoff plate for pump pad. Make a rubber pad to fill the space the cable exited the case. Solder or epoxy off the oil fitting on the cylinder inlet. Pull the oil tank.

Then, make new throttle cable. the TY 80 are so small and have a light carb spring.

Oh, by the way, the index pin on the carb body, that keeps the slide from rotating, can work loose. If it moves outward, the slide can snag and bind. The light spring can't overcome the friction to close the slide, causing exciting high idles (for example 3/4 throttle....). The drag of the heavy cables aggravates that. Make sure the pin is in place properly and put a dab of epoxy on the outside of the carb to hold the pin alignment.

To return properly with good throttle feel I used universal cable housing, and bicycle brake wire coring. Very light and flexible. Solder the ends on with a dip pot made from a 3/4 inch copper tubing cap on a small bolt/stick for handle. I used Domino throttles.

Removing the extra cable to pull the pump, the friction in the junction block, and lighter cable made the throttle much smoother and predictable.

had three over the kid years. lots of maintenance as they were old bikes, but simple to fix and durable and great memories. Still have the last one, but will be selling off complete bike and quite a bit of drive and chassis parts. some plastic, a late model top yellow tank I think, and one new tire, rear I think. need anything?

k

Edited by kevin j

I was always under the impression that bikes designed for injection and ones designed for pre-mix lubrication had different lower rod end designs and were completely incompatible. In such cases as the TY80...there is no lubricating hole in the lower rod for the pre-mix to lubricate the bearing.

Not saying Im right...in fact it appears that I am wrong, but this is what I always thought.

I was always under the impression that bikes designed for injection and ones designed for pre-mix lubrication had different lower rod end designs and were completely incompatible. In such cases as the TY80...there is no lubricating hole in the lower rod for the pre-mix to lubricate the bearing.

Not saying Im right...in fact it appears that I am wrong, but this is what I always thought.

That may have been the case with later bikes. With the vintage stuff they may not have been that advanced.

some injected systems moved oil into the main bearings, some had mains lubed from transmission oil.

Most of the air cooled older stuff just dump the oil into the inlet after the carb and let it mix as it is thrashed around on the way. The oil slings out, collects on cylinder walls and funnels to the proper spots.

All the TY just dump it into the intake, so you are fine to remove it. good to check it out first though.

k