Re-packing Silencer

mattr

I have a 2001 TXT280 and need to re-pack the silencer with new fiberglass. Last night, I drilled out the rivets and removed the core. I noticed after unwrapping to old packing that the inner tube was also wrapped with layer of woven steel mesh. Is this standard from the factory or did the person before me do this (I bought it used) ?

I decided to leave this mesh off since it was clogging the small holes of the inner tube. I think the performance should be better with only the inner tube and fiberglass. The only benefit that I seen with mesh was that the fiberglass did not stick to the tube.

I would like to hear your opinions. Does your bike have this layer of mesh around your inner tube? Also, what are all of the benefits with re-packing (regarding sound, engine response, etc.)?

Thanks,

Matt

I was told that the mesh was there to keep the fiber glass in. Other wise the glass will eventually be sucked out in time. I am having my pipe welded here soon due to my over shooting the crest of a hill last year. It crushed in my tip and cracked around the tube near the resonator. I will also be removing the mesh because this wont be the first time I unpack and repack the thing. New muffler is 200 dollars +. ouch! :)

-biff

Thanks for your feedback.

I have also talked with Jim Snell (Gas Gas USA importer) and he confirmed that all bikes come from the factory that way. Like biff said, it was to keep the packing from blowing out the holes over time.

I rode my bike last weekend and definitely felt improvements. Previously, my bike was sluggish/hesistated when you cracked the throttle. It is more responsive on the bottom end and that sluggish feeling is gone. Of course, the sound is better too (more like a brup, brup sound then pop, pop). I attribute this mainly to the new packing and not the lack of mesh around the inner tube.

In case your interested, the old packing was very saturated with oil and carbonized around the tube. I'm definitely repacking the silencer on a regular basis. Jim Snell mentioned that the World Champ guys repack their silencer every trial and replace the middle chamber every couple trials. This is extreme but illustrates the importance of keeping your exhaust as fresh as possible.

As a final note, it is important not to wrap the new packing too tightly around the inner tube. This will hurt the performance like it was old packing (too dense). I'm still not sure about the mesh versus no mesh thing. I will have to compare the next time I repack.

Matt