First Trial For 12 Years!

grahamjayzee

OK, since joining this forum a few months ago, I have contributed to other people's threads, and may even have ventured opinion. Worse, I may have offered advice.

Today, I rode the Cambridge Matchless trial, and what a fine event it was. However it has now become abundantly clear that I suck. Seriously, first section was a gentle turn over a root and I made a gentle turn over the bars. The first lap took me over an hour and I lost count of my score. It was easier to count back from a maximum!

I had a great day, but I apologise to anyone who has taken any notice of anything I have written and urge you to not do so in the future. It is clear I don't know what I'm talking about!

:huh:

Graham

I think I have offered lots of advice here also, maybe too much..... and I have enuff mobikes to start a shop, but I still ride the ladies route at exmoor and trips over the bars happen occasionally also. Do I suck? well,,,.. er...yes I suppose I do.

I look at like this. 10 sections, 4 laps, three days Thats 40x5 x 3=600 points max at the sun inn trial last summer (fine event). I wasnt last but had 150 ish.....

I did clear all the sections once...I fived alot once as well.

but it woz fun fun fun as the beach boys said (showing my age now)

have fun

Lee

I know what to do, I just can't do it!

A lot of it was simply confidence and nerves. I was as stiff as a board for the 1st lap and couldn't relax on the bike. I knew I could clean the sections, but just, er, didn't! I managed decent rides in all bar one section where I took a couple of 5s just to make sure I actually finished before the observers went home. I kept it comfortably below 100 for a 10 section 4 lap trial, so that's OK.

As Nicks_TR34 put it, I set the bar comfortably low...

The big point is, I enjoyed it. Also, years back I slowly improved until I was in with a shout of novice wins. I'm kind of back to the start now, and I quite like that. It's like there's no pressure and I can just go back to being a bit duff and having a good laugh.

Graham more trials you do the less nervous and stiff you'll be on the bike, might take a few weeks but it will come easy soon. Try and get to the trial early and have at least 30 mins riding before you start the first section, take time to watch other riders through and look where they're picking lines.

I had a great day, but I apologise to anyone who has taken any notice of anything I have written and urge you to not do so in the future. It is clear I don't know what I'm talking about!

laugh.gif

Graham

It's the first line that you said that makes it so worthwhile ! :huh: I also have taken up the Sport after a long absence, and this time round it's purely for fun. I turned 40 a couple of weeks back and can't believe how much i enjoy going along to the various meetings i attend, though it's hard work but well worth it !

Good for you hoggle!

I'm 43 now and from the outside I look like a classic mid-life crisis as I have taken up trials again, ride a road bike and do a fair few trackdays. But I've ALWAYS had road bikes and have been riding trackdays for 10 years. I prefer to think that I am not born again, just never quite fully formed!

Addict, I got to the trial 1 1/2 hours early with a view to getting relaxed. However, we couldn't get onto the land before the starttime so I spent all this time in the cafe. Great preparation, methinks...

I've got time. Next trial will be a bit better, the one after that maybe better again. Before long I'll be back to my natural talent level of mid-table plodder!

Good for you hoggle!

I'm 43 now and from the outside I look like a classic mid-life crisis as I have taken up trials again, ride a road bike and do a fair few trackdays. But I've ALWAYS had road bikes and have been riding trackdays for 10 years. I prefer to think that I am not born again, just never quite fully formed!

To be fair Graham, you have done lots of them and are still carp at trackdays ... you had no hope with trials after a 13yr layoff!! :huh:

I can take the piddle now as even when we do that trial on the 28th and I do even worse than you, at least I can say I am new to the sport and on a 20yr old bike!!! :banana2: But if you get Max -5 marks and I get Max, its not like you gave me a trapping is it!! :banana2:

I can take the piddle now as even when we do that trial on the 28th and I do even worse than you, at least I can say I am new to the sport and on a 20yr old bike!!!

The proof of the pudding will be, as they say, in the eating. Enjoy your meal once you've removed all the mud and leaves from your mouth...

:hyper:

<For those of you that may be alarmed by this exchange, myself and Nicks_TR34 have been ,ercilessly taking the mick out of each other for the best part of 20 years!>

<For those of you that may be alarmed by this exchange, myself and Nicks_TR34 have been ,ercilessly taking the mick out of each other for the best part of 20 years!>

To be fair it has generally been you ripping on me all these years over everything I have ever done (or grossly failed to do! :o ) ... so its good to trash-talk you on your lack of trials prowess before we do this trial together on the 28th and we realise that for sure* I am much much worse!! :hyper:

*lets face it, it is highly anticipated anyway!! :huh:

Edited by Nicks_TR34

Graham, even if you cant ride about before the trial starts hang back for 30 mins and do some riding before you enter section 1. Its always worth taking time to see how grippy the land is and how the obstacles will ride.

Always worth getting up extra early before a trial and making sure you have a good poo :hyper: nowt worse than one comin on at section 1 :huh: it kills ya concentration

Edited by The Addict