Putting Stickers On Ya Bike

bowellsyboy

I want to put some new decals on my beta's tank and have read on here that doing it wet is the best way, as you can move it around before it sets. How exactly do you do this? Do you put the whole sticker in water and then put it on the bike or just wet the area on the bike you want to stick it on. If anyone can adivise on the best way will be much appreciated.

Just fitted a full TTT kit to a Beta and not a drop of water in sight !!!

I just used some masking tape to align the position of the sticker before peeling off the backing, and then once happy with the proposed position and resting place, I made sure the area was dry and warm (not good doing it in the recent icy cold weather as the stickability of the stickers is poor). Once that was done, I just peeled - positioned - smoothed it over then used a hair dryer to really "nail" it to the tank/guard/fork leg/etc. That also helped get any bubbles out.

Remember to smooth in one direction. That way you are effectively forcing any air out in one direction and the risk of getting trapped air (very painful!!) is negligible.

It really is a piece of cake. Just make sure you have plenty od time and patience... if you rush it, you'll regret it.

And as an aside, the TTT sticker kit is great... it has transformed my son's 05 Beta and really smartened it up (he added an 06 rear m'guard too).

Go for it !! :wub:

Pinch the wifes hair drier for the job, heat the decal both sides and the metal and it makes the job alot easier, as said above heat it when on and any bubbles can be pushed out, dont leave it running on the floor next to the wall and burn the motor out though :wub: she wont be happy

I like using water with a drop of dish soap in it with a sprayer. Make sure the surface is clean and dry and lightly spray the area then put the sticker right over the wet area. The reason for using the water is that you can move the sticker around very easily for positioning and when you smooth out the sticker, all the water and air bubbles move out quickly and easily. Let it all dry and sticker is on for good. I used to put them on dry and if I mispositioned, pulling the sticker back up could stretch and distort it. Not good with expensive stickers. Hair dryers also work great for getting the old buggers off, much better than scraping! Good luck!

Pinch the wifes hair drier for the job, heat the decal both sides and the metal and it makes the job alot easier, as said above heat it when on and any bubbles can be pushed out, dont leave it running on the floor next to the wall and burn the motor out though :wub: she wont be happy

Do hair straighteners work ?

3M spray adhesive and 2.5 yards of your favorite fabric. (Excellent idea that Biffsgasgas had)

covers tank, front and rear mudguards and front disc protector. There may even be enough left over to do the lower fork legs.

So cheap you can change it every trial.

A few years ago I used to apply vinyl graphics to rally cars and support vans and we always used small amount of soapy water. This will enable you to move the stickers around. when in position a squeegee over the top of the wax paper backing to remove any bubbles and water. leave for about an hr and remove the wax paper. If you have any small bubles pin prick them!

MOST IMPORTANTLY MAKE SURE YOU START OFF WITH WELL PREPED SURFACE!

No pant chips No adhesive from previous vinyl. Absolutely NO crease of oil. Clean the surface thoroughly.

Using water is the correct way.

• Like 1