The Long Dab !

tomsdad

Rules state dragging your foot is a three, any part of the body in contact with the ground is a one, this includes foot while still on the peg, nothing in the rules say's these can also be counted as a one or a clean.

Any observer can only score what they see, but if they do see it then it has to be scored by the rules.

A good strict observer will often come under attack from riders for doing the job properly, for an easy afternoon observing and to avoid conflict, is being lenient, fair to all the riders ?.

So if you stop and lean against a tree, then providing the feet are still on the pegs then that's a clean too? :thumbup:

Pedants corner says - footing will be considered to have occurred if the rider benefits from any part of the riders body or any part of the machine (with the exception of the tires or the sump shield) touches the ground or an obstacle (tree wall etc) without stopping the progress of the machine.

or any part of the machine (with the exception of the tires or the sump shield) touches the ground or an obstacle (tree wall etc)

Yes that's a good one. I had one rider argue that he should have been clean after stopping with the handle bar end leaning against a tree for a good 15 seconds whilst he looked at a (small) rock step.

He said that as he didn't touch the tree it was ok! :thumbup:

I had a rider lying on his side on rocks at Hawkstone in 2007 so gave him a five he wasn't very happy about it :thumbup: quite a lot of choice words about my family and myself was hurled in my direction, until i went for the yellow card, he soon departed the section, and even came and said sorry on his second lap rules are rules and as long as you mark all riders the same it shoudn't matter how you score them.

I suspect that if this really happened, results might be slightly different.

I must admit, it's sometimes difficult to be genuinely 100% consistent. It's human nature to treat people differently. For example, it must be so difficult to give your own son/daughter a five for rolling back a couple of inches if they are struggling through your section using all of their strength. Where as you might give the five toa perfect stranger.

Or maybe the other way around for some people.... :thumbup:

I must admit, it's sometimes difficult to be genuinely 100% consistent. It's human nature to treat people differently. For example, it must be so difficult to give your own son/daughter a five for rolling back a couple of inches if they are struggling through your section using all of their strength. Where as you might give the five toa perfect stranger.

Or maybe the other way around for some people.... :blush:

I had to have a word wi my lad about that, I told him "never tell an observer what you got" they may of missed it :D