Montesa Parts - 1980 348 - Available?

thedktor

Hi all

Looking at picking up an old 348, which is apparently 1980 vintage.

Question is, what parts are still available. For example, say the crank is knackered, can you get the bearings? And pistons? Gaskets?

Its from a good friend so have the opportunity to at least take the cylinder off to see whats what. The bike runs, so thats a start, but has not been used for 10 years.

I want to come to a mutual agreement on price depending on what needs fixing......

Thanks

Steve

(Hants)

1980 vintage 348? I very much doubt it. From '80 'till (I think) 85 they were a 349/350.

Spares are freely available. Start with Jared Bates (South West Montesa). There are also a bunch of suppliers in Spain.

Look up a member Zulu (Des Britz) on these boards or have a look on facebook for the Cota 348 group (Facebook 348 group) for lot's of info.

Edited by TooFastTim

Thanks for thr reply!

Also you confirmed something else, it is registered but is presumably a '79 (or earlier) model.

I havent actually seen the bike yet which is why I'm a bit vague - it was completely buried in the back of a garage!

Would I be right in assuming 348 has 5 speed, 349 has 6 ? That would be an easy thing to check

Cheers

Steve

No both are 6 speed

An easy way to tell is that 348s have frame tubes under the motor 349s have an aluminium plate

348s have a rear frame loop and 349s don't

The motors look different too but it is hard to describe the differences

Both have motor prefix 51M

348 - 1976, 77, 78

349 - 1979, 80, 81, 82, .....

Edited by feetupfun

No both are 6 speed

An easy way to tell is that 348s have frame tubes under the motor 349s have an aluminium plate

348s have a rear frame loop and 349s don't

The motors look different too but it is hard to describe the differences

Both have motor prefix 51M

348 - 1976, 77, 78

349 - 1979, 80, 81, 82, .....

Ah, fantastic, thanks. Googled some images and I see what you mean (frame tubes)

Cheers

Looking at picking up an old 348, which is apparently 1980 vintage.

Question is, what parts are still available. For example, say the crank is knackered, can you get the bearings? And pistons? Gaskets?

Its from a good friend so have the opportunity to at least take the cylinder off to see whats what. The bike runs, so thats a start, but has not been used for 10 years.

I want to come to a mutual agreement on price depending on what needs fixing......

I'd say go for it if the price is right. But then I'm a sucker for twinshocks. Parts wont be cheap as they are getting scarcer but you can get lucky.

It might even be a good investment the way prices of Classic Twinshocks are going. It's actually cheaper to get into the sport with a several year old mono than a late Twinshock.

Wayne....

I bought one of the first 349 's in September 1980 , and i assume the 348's where available till then .

Without looking I think you're a year out, the 349's appeared in 1979, I bought a 348 in late '79 or early '80 cheap as they were selling off what was left. Next one I had was a white 349, pulled my arms out & had the turning circle of a super tanker.