Poor Starting Sherco 290/ 2000 Model

michael138

I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A SHERCO 290, BUT HAVE TROUBLE STARTING FROM COLD IVE REPLACED THE SPARK PLUG , AIR FILTER & REPLACED THE FUEL, STRIPPED / CLEANED OUT THE CARB. SPARK APPEARS OK. IT DOES START WITH A QUICK SPRAY OF EASY START & WILL FIRE UP FINE WHEN WARM. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

Has the engine been ever been rebuilt?

I have a 2000 sherco 2.9, when cold it used to start one kick, I just never knew which one, could be the 3rd kick or the 30th. After I changed rings, crank bearings (crank shaft would shake if I hit the handlebars with my hand) and crank seals, at cold it now starts on the 2nd or 3rd kick. sometimes 1st.

Or it may not be that extreme could just be the ignition timing is needs checking.

The long brass tube with the o-ring that fits snugly against the bowl when installed, contains the choke jet. You should insure the o-ring is in good condition, remove and clean the jet and blow through the passage with compressed air to insure it is clean. Also insure the well in the bowl is clean and free of water.

Hope that helps, :D

copemech Posted Today, 02:56 PM

The long brass tube with the o-ring that fits snugly against the bowl when installed, contains the choke jet. You should insure the o-ring is in good condition, remove and clean the jet and blow through the passage with compressed air to insure it is clean. Also insure the well in the bowl is clean and free of water.

Hope that helps, wink.gif

Leave it to Cope to come up with a cheaper and easier fix. :D

Yep I would try that first.