Sherco Fork Issues

mcnulty

took 05 front fork apart according to ryp process but the seal and the centering bushings stayed in the lower part of the fork???they act like they are jambed in place. and yes the clip was removed. any sugestions as how to get thosebushings and seal out of the lower part as know the tefflon is junk. I think I found why the forks are sticky. help :D

You'll probably be ably to get the seal out with a self tapping screw, screw one or two into the seal and pull the seal out with pliers.

I'm not sure how strong the bushes are, I'm thinking if they are relatively thin and flimsy you might be able to use a long thin screw driver to hammer one edge over so collapsing the bush in on it's self but you risk damaging the fork.

Hopefully someone will come up with a better method.

I can't picture the arrangement on a Sherco but I think I had a similar problem on my road bike. The problem being the bush is stuck in the lower fork tube and you can't get behind it to drift or push it out.

I tried levering with screw drivers etc. to no avial.

What I did do was cut a bit of 10mm wide steel bar marginally bigger than the inside diameter of the fork tube and then rounded both ends so it was a snug fit inside the tube. I then drilled a hole so i could get a bolt through the middle (Part A), the bolt needs to be a relatively slack fit. I also drilled a hole in a longer piece of bar (Part :D to bridge the top of the fork tube.

I put a bolt through part A and lowered it so it sat behing the fork bush so I had hold of the end of the bolt at the top of the fork tube. I then put Part B over the bolt so it bridged the top of the fork tube. Put a nut on and gave it a few turns and the bush came out no problem. I appreciate its had to explain. If your really stuck pm me and I will email you some photos or a pencil sketch.

Regards Scragg

As I recall, once you remove the seal, it should fall out.

I think I follow that the bush on the end if the tube came off, so the tube came out of the slider without it, leaving it loose and the seal in place.

:D

Sounds like it to me too. My mentors taught me to use heat (not a "pencil" flame, but one that spreads out the flame and play it over the surface so as to not burn the coating) to "loosen" seals and then rap the fork tubes apart and it has worked every time, so far.

You might try some quick heat on the outside of the lower leg and then jab the top of the leg against a piece of hard wood on the floor. The quick heat on the aluminum should expand it fast enough to release it from the steel bushing collar.

Jon

Same thing happened to me as I was installing new seals in my wife's bike last month. Everything came out fine, but the bushings were STUCK! Obviously this probably isn't the correct way to free the bushing, but it's what I eventually had to do to get them out. I just happened to have a 3' long, 1/4" diameter steel rod, placed the rod through the bottom of the fork and was able to very gently tap the bushings out.