Week 105 - Getting Graded

Andy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I suppose, with trials having progressed to the point we are currently at, we will leave grading to the rider’s personal choice, which could well be the best answer all round.

Not sure I agree.. the reason being if a rider ( say expert ) goes to another centre and thinks, hmm these sections look a little tough, he can downgrade to 'clubman/novice' and ride a much easier route and take an award/win. Some honourable riders will ride for no award. Others will take the win without any form of embarrassment. This surely isnt right and no better than the theme of the discussion last week !

Others will take the win without any form of embarrassment. This surely isnt right and no better than the theme of the discussion last week !

Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Thats why i love this sport,we all cheat in our own little way.

Dodgy.

It always makes me smile - those that call themselves 'novices' who clearly are not - you know who you are and shame on you. I don't see how the ACU don't pick up on it - some are regular winners and really brazen.

The over 40 class also hides some former talent too - so much so that a new or mediocre rider in this class you have absolutely no chance of a result - it can be a bit disheartening. Its such a popular class these days that its perhaps time to break it down into Nov/Int/Exp O40??

what about those of us who have ridden for years, been lucky and 'won' an award and yet the standard we can ride to is nowhere near good enough to ride the next level of sections safely/ competatively. surely we are allowod a ride at the level at which we fell most comfortable.. its not as if money of silverware is on the table..

I agree with most of the comments as I took a break from trials for about 6/7 years, where before the break I was second in the scottish youth B champs. The next event I rode was an easy route in lincolnshire in 2007 which I won, I then made the obvious choice and moved on to the middle route where in my first year back won 2 novice champs out of the 4 clubs I rode and remained a novice. Then in prep for the 2008 SSDT I started riding the hard route still as a novice riding for no award.

I also rode a few yorkshire centre trials where all classes,nov,int,exp ride the same route, needless to say I was a tad bamboozled(not in a :D way) I opted for the clubman route and found it was far more suitable for my ability (although I was riding the hard route in lincolnshire to ride the route for my class in yorkshire I would be riding the same sections as the likes of chris pearson and the hemingways a tad out of my league) I have now been made up to inter but I am also moving down south and I have no idea which route to ride down there, wanted to ride this weekend but I had to build a new home for my little 250F (a shed).

There is a massive difference between the hard route in lincolnshire and the hard route in yorkshire is it the same down south?

Is it the level of the riders in their particular centre that determine the difficulty of the sections???

I am still no closer to knowing what I should ride.

Edited by thespikeyone

what about those of us who have ridden for years, been lucky and 'won' an award and yet the standard we can ride to is nowhere near good enough to ride the next level of sections safely/ competatively. surely we are allowod a ride at the level at which we fell most comfortable.. its not as if money of silverware is on the table..

Your grading is nothing to do with the route you choose to ride - only if you want to challenge for that award. You don't have to ride the difficult sections just because you are not classified as a 'novice' anymore.

No problem with that and that's the point I am making - ride whatever class you want, but if its knowingly below your level, then ride for no award and enjoy the trial.

I agree with most of the comments as I took a break from trials for about 6/7 years, where before the break I was second in the scottish youth B champs. The next event I rode was an easy route in lincolnshire in 2007 which I won, I then made the obvious choice and moved on to the middle route where in my first year back won 2 novice champs out of the 4 clubs I rode and remained a novice. Then in prep for the 2008 SSDT I started riding the hard route still as a novice riding for no award.

I also rode a few yorkshire centre trials where all classes,nov,int,exp ride the same route, needless to say I was a tad bamboozled(not in a :D way) I opted for the clubman route and found it was far more suitable for my ability (although I was riding the hard route in lincolnshire to ride the route for my class in yorkshire I would be riding the same sections as the likes of chris pearson and the hemingways a tad out of my league) I have now been made up to inter but I am also moving down south and I have no idea which route to ride down there, wanted to ride this weekend but I had to build a new home for my little 250F (a shed).

There is a massive difference between the hard route in lincolnshire and the hard route in yorkshire is it the same down south?

Is it the level of the riders in their particular centre that determine the difficulty of the sections???

I am still no closer to knowing what I should ride.

It is a mess and your post makes that clear :thumbup:

What I have done in the past is if I go to a place I haven't been before, I would get there early and look at the sections. Then you can select the route you feel most comfortable riding. I did ride one trial on the expert route and done ok but If I were to attempt expert level in Yorkshire, I would need the air ambulance :banana2:

As usual i don't understand what the big deal is here,If someone want's to drive to another centre and realise's there out there depth in the expert class and want's to drop down to novice class for a score where's the problem.

I can't see the point of making a rider ride what ever trial for no award just because he drop's down,he may aswell go 2 miles up the road from home and go and practice with some mates and have a laugh.

In the Yorkshire Centre you are graded on your results from the previous year. Start as a Novice and on results you move on to Inter and Expert. All riders ride the Hard course for gradings. If you want to remain a clubman you ride the easier course in Centre Trials.

As usual i don't understand what the big deal is here,If someone want's to drive to another centre and realise's there out there depth in the expert class and want's to drop down to novice class for a score where's the problem.

I can't see the point of making a rider ride what ever trial for no award just because he drop's down,he may aswell go 2 miles up the road from home and go and practice with some mates and have a laugh.

Ok, so lets say Dougie Lampkin comes and rides your novice route and takes the trophy. Would you think thats fair? Ok, it's an extreme example but it gets the point across.... I hope :D

In the Yorkshire Centre you are graded on your results from the previous year. Start as a Novice and on results you move on to Inter and Expert. All riders ride the Hard course for gradings. If you want to remain a clubman you ride the easier course in Centre Trials.

I am aware of how it works but don't you find it a bit strange that to progress to inter, NOVICE riders have to shove their bike round 5ing loads of sections and hanging out their a*&e glad to finish on 234 marks, while tony lampkin-jarvis hops and bobs his way to victory on a single dab? both of whom are riding the very same sections.

Edited by thespikeyone

God,yes Atom very extreme.Lol.

I guess that's why Dougie is looking towards Enduro,because after he's WTC Employment he would'nt fit into many Trial's back home apart from SSDT or the Scott,im not even sure your gonna find him at any BTC event's either,But this is a diffrent issue.

So these Expert's going into another centre and dropping to Novice can't be in the top 5 or 10 Experts in there own centre,they must be below that to feel the need to drop down.This isn't a new problem its been common knowledge for many many year's that Yorkshire has tough Trials and the further South you come it get's softer.

So how im thinking is,someone who calls themselve's Expert in one Centre does'nt mean there Expert's in another there realy Novices in the Centre there visiting,so there should be no problem for them to ride for scores.Maybe they win Maybe they don't depends on the quality of the Novices of the centre there visiting.

Edited by bilc0

The severity and style of section also depends on the club never mind the centre.

For example in the south some clubs with more younger or modern influenced riders expect bike hopping at intermediate levels to clean sections whereas clubs with an older or more traditional minded membership will avoid any on bike gymnastics even on the toughest sections.

With over 40 riders one local club does have 2 different classes.