Montesa 349, Where To Get Some Parts?! (gears Damaged)

thedktor

Split the cases of my 1980 349, and was more than a little unhappy to find the gears badly corroded and not really serviceable (though they worked ok before the split)

Is there any trials bike breakers in the UK? anyone know of anyone breaking a Mont?

Thanks for any pointers....

Steve

Edited by thedktor

Steve

Are they really that bad that you have to replace the internals? How badly pitted are the parts?

Wayne....

Well, at least 2 cogs are really bad, will try and post some pics later. It is only a trials bike so I probably could get away with it, but if I could replace some parts I would be happier.

Phoned round a few places, only Ellastone were "fairly confident" they have the bits, pending a more thorough search (

Here's the gears, or the worst one anyway.

Gears.jpg

You can see a tide-mark, I thought oil floated on water but its as if there was a layer of water on the surface of the gear oil...who knows but its not good eh!

Also the output shaft very worn!

OutputShaft.jpg

Got a possible lead on some replacements, just waiting for the owner to split their cases and see if the gears are any good.

Steve

Hmm Not pretty! Looks like it's gone through the case hardening in the deepest pits.

It may be a result of condensation more than large amounts of water in the gearbox. My main worry would be that the case hardening is now compromised and may start shedding hard debris. You are probably right to look out for replacement gears.

Wayne...

Hmm Not pretty! Looks like it's gone through the case hardening in the deepest pits.

It may be a result of condensation more than large amounts of water in the gearbox. My main worry would be that the case hardening is now compromised and may start shedding hard debris. You are probably right to look out for replacement gears.

Wayne...

Yes, shedding bits is my concern and why I wuld be very reluctant to re-use. Still waiting for a guy to split his engine, fingers crossed.....

Steve