Disabling Your Bike

anotherfive

Just been thinking of good ways to put your bike out of action when not riding just to make it difficult for the scum to enjoy. These are apart from locking it up.

Handlebar clamps removed

Fork tops off

Wheel out

Carb plug out

kickstart removed

Gear lever removed

Has anyone got better ideas.All the above are 5 minute tasks. Might start doing a couple of these each week

wheel spindles . TAKE THEM OUT ,

Only takes a few mins but its hard to carry a bike , Having said that if someone wants it bad enough, Alarm mines are also good , they take a black powder 12 bore blank and you conect a short wire to your bike , if someone moves it whammo ,deaf and dumb. ;)

Just been thinking of good ways to put your bike out of action when not riding just to make it difficult for the scum to enjoy. These are apart from locking it up.

Handlebar clamps removed

Fork tops off

Wheel out

Carb plug out

kickstart removed

Gear lever removed

Has anyone got better ideas.All the above are 5 minute tasks. Might start doing a couple of these each week

A large, ethical part of my brain would think a small wire connector under the tank that could be pulled apart slightly to disable the CDI would work. A small, revengeful part of my brain suggests a hand grenade under the tank with the throttle cable connected to the pin......

Jon

wheel spindles . TAKE THEM OUT ,

Only takes a few mins but its hard to carry a bike , Having said that if someone wants it bad enough, Alarm mines are also good , they take a black powder 12 bore blank and you conect a short wire to your bike , if someone moves it whammo ,deaf and dumb. ;)

These work really well! and in the confines of a garage would scare the *&% out of even the toughest scum! Are they still legal? Any sporting gunshop should have them if they are. They used to be used by Gamekeepers a lot to warn of poachers. Easy to make too.

Wayne....

I fiqure that chaining it to the hydraulic bike lift will give me enough time to get down to the garage (when the alarm sounds) before they can release / remove it - thereby enabling me to indroduce them to 'the slugger' - which I normally and regularly use to play baseball with the children (21 and 25) and had hastily and spontaneously grabbed it to protect myself (with no malice aforethought your honour) ;)

A large, ethical part of my brain would think a small wire connector under the tank that could be pulled apart slightly to disable the CDI would work.

I had this on my Aprilla 280 which after been stolen was returned as it never ran and the scum asked the wrong person how to fix it.I also had a shotgun cartridge trigger on the door which pulled a pin and activated the shotgun cartridge with shot removed. Forgot once and triggered it myself.

An alarm is the first and best line of defence as chains can be got by as my friends have suffered.

Edited by smalley250

Also get yersel' a dog,doesn't have to be a big gnarly one and put up a small sign stating it's presence.

Encourage it to bark when someone comes to the house and make sure it sleeps behind the front door at night.

I train with a few HMP officers and they say you'd be amazed at what deters 90% of the scrotes...whilst nothing seems to deter the other 10% ;)

I had this on my Aprilla 280 which after been stolen was returned as it never ran and the scum asked the wrong person how to fix it.

I had a 1996 JTR370 (one of only about 5 in the U.S.) stolen from my enclosed trailer in front of the shop. It had lots of trick bits so would be easy to identify but I'm guessing it's under a creek somewhere. My one big consolation was that the perp may have been adversly affected by Big Blue and I told the Sheriff to look for a suspect with a broken right kneecap (got a blank stare until I explained) as the 338cc, high-compression, short kickstart lever'ed beast did not take to "uncommitted" kickstarting with a favorable response........

Jon

Tiny padlock, slipped through the chain, so it will jamb in the sprocket and stop the bike from rolling.

Add a quick disconnect on the power supply to the coil. Hide it where you can quickly reach it without looking, and you have a very quick way to stop the engine running.

I fiqure that chaining it to the hydraulic bike lift will give me enough time to get down to the garage (when the alarm sounds) before they can release / remove it - thereby enabling me to indroduce them to 'the slugger' - which I normally and regularly use to play baseball with the children (21 and 25) and had hastily and spontaneously grabbed it to protect myself (with no malice aforethought your honour) ;)

I am surprised at 21 and 25 that your children don't suggest a ball for baseball.

Tiny padlock, slipped through the chain, so it will jamb in the sprocket and stop the bike from rolling.

Add a quick disconnect on the power supply to the coil. Hide it where you can quickly reach it without looking, and you have a very quick way to stop the engine running.

A decent size padlock through the holes in the disc works well.