First Outing On 200

somerset steve

Hi All

After many hours and a fare bit of cash, not to mention help from a Brit over in Germany, i took the old girl our for the first time today to an easy afternoon trial. All going well for the first couple of section. Then the old girl would not start. Ended up with a bump start and would run fine.

Come the last few sections the old thing would end up dying on tick over.

Background.

Engine has been re-built, all new seals, new plug, new dellorto carb.

Original coil, original wires from coil to engine.

Any thaughts? What resistances should i be looking for when checking coil?

Thank-you in advance.

Hi Steve, the coil could be the problem, but also the wires...was it wet. especially the green trigger wire is susectable to aging. The isolation just falls off! Black to green is 40-60 ohms = trigger. Red to black is 400 to 600 which is primary.

If the wires look ok, and the resitances too, try another coil. (Steve Goode). It will be from Ducati but seach my posts here how to wire it. If that all doesnt help pm me your address again and I will send a stator for you to try. Exmoor is getting close.

Did you get fork bottoms or still on yami forks

lee

Thank-you Lee.

Meter readings are as follows. Red to Black 509 ohms. Red to Green 549 ohms. Black to Green 39.6 ohms.

Coil looks to have been replaced recently. I think its a Ducati one. You did id it for me in another post.

Think i will fit another new plug and plug top. It has a NGK resistive plug at the mo, will go for a standard one.

Any other tests i can do on the HT side?

Steve.

red to green means nothing. The other two are good. HT tests need specially equipmet and my experience says it goes or doesnt. It may break down when hot but will restart when cold....this is typical of cold solder joints or a short and it could be in the staor or the coil. I think the problem lies elsewhere

I will have a few spare coils with me at exmoor which I can let you try if you dont improve by then

L

Edited by Lee Harris

I have fitted new plug and plug top. Bike started first kick. After a blast around the block at home to warm her up she cut out. No way she would start with the kick start. Took out the plug while still warm. No spark. Took resistance reedings again they had increased. Red to Black, from 509R cold to 561R hot. Black to Green, 549R cold to 603R hot.

HT coil was still cold to touch on return.

Any ideas?

Has anyone got contact details for companies that will re-wind my stator?

Ok, so fitted a brand new HT coil. Start first kick. Went on same trip around our block. When hot i stoped and let the bike go to tick over. After 10 secs it just died. Then would not kick start. It would bump start ok. When i got back to my garage i used the stop button to kill it. Then re-started it fine with the kick start. Time and time again it started first kick as long as i turned it off with the kill switch.

Any ideas?

Steve

You can try pulling the wire on the kill button then take it for along run.

I would favour it being your Stator coil on it's way out or a wire earthing out somewhere,check all wire's anything looking suspect get the insulting tape out.

Replaced pick-up wire, as well as feed from LT to HT coil. Test rode bike last night for an hour or so and it seems to have curred the problem.

I will take it out this weekend when we are marking out some of the Exmoor 3 day sections.

Hope to see some of you there.

Thanks for all assistance.