Honda Tlr Smoking On Start Up?

not ron

I have a Honda TLR 250 which I have ridden, amongst other bikes, for about 10 years. In the past when it needed a reline/rebore it only smoked when on load and high engine speed on the road. Now if I leave it for a week, whenever I start it, it smokes for about 30 seconds and then runs clean all day. This is a very similar symptom to when the oil pumps wear on pre-65 bikes and the oil drains from the tank into the crankcase when left standing. I wonder if anyone has any similar experience, I feel it may not be the normal valve stem seals/piston wear that I have experneiced in the past and maybe I need to check the oil pump before stripping off the barrel.

The TLR is a wet sump motor so oil pump bypass will not cause smoking as in a dry sump motor with remote tank. The usual cause of your symptoms is worn valve guides and/or damaged valve stem seals.

If these are worn oil drains down from the valve gear when standing and accumulates in the combustion chamber.

Good luck.