315r Sidestand....

samandkimberly

I recently bought a 2000 315R and it came with a sidestand, not mounted. Having just put it on, I can see why it wasn't on there when I bought it - it folds nearly straight down instead of out, and opens way past the point where it could actually hold the bike up. My assumption is that it has been severely bent, but it actually looks in very good, unbent condition. Before I clamp it in a vise and go at I thought I'd ask: do these stands actually work, or should I save my time trying to make mine work and just leave it off?

Thanks,

Sam

Yup,it let's the bike lean over at an extreme angle putting too much pressure into the (soft) ground and when you come back to your bike after walking a section, it's over .

How I used to love looking for an embedded stone in the ground just to keep my parked steed upright.

The only good thing about it was it's ability to protect the swing arm when I made a balls of a rock/concrete step :dunce:

• 4 weeks later...
At best is ok. They can flip up of their own accord, and will flatten your finger if it happens to be in the wrong place. (long story)

I carried my 315 on a hired trailer yesterday. Tied the bike with the side stand down and the bean leaning into the stand for rigid support On the 45 minute journey back, it must have bounced around and worn down the 'stop' on the bracket holding the stand. At home, and while investigating why the stand now pivoted beyond the end stop, the bloody thing sprung back and caught my thumb nail between the stand leg and the swing arm. Lets' just say that I didn't know that there were so many nerve endings around the thumb nail! It is some consolation is to know that others have caught been too.

I carried my 315 on a hired trailer yesterday. Tied the bike with the side stand down and the bean leaning into the stand for rigid support On the 45 minute journey back, it must have bounced around and worn down the 'stop' on the bracket holding the stand. At home, and while investigating why the stand now pivoted beyond the end stop, the bloody thing sprung back and caught my thumb nail between the stand leg and the swing arm. Lets' just say that I didn't know that there were so many nerve endings around the thumb nail! It is some consolation is to know that others have caught been too.

Just as well you dont need your thumb for typing :P