Us - Mobile Phone Or Skype Etc.

dabber

I'm travelling to the US (mainly calif) for a few weeks in the summer but need to be able to work by phone (calls back to the uk). Any suggestions as to the most cost effective method.

US sim card/phone

UK phone

Is Skype not free? Free works! Not sure how it all works though, yet wife and daughter have figured out how to do their own video confrencing.

They sell these phone cards in every convenience store where you get soo many minutes cheap and good fro international calls from a standard phone.

Also, i think the cell providers have plans for a price that could work, pay the added for the time and call anyone, anywhere!

Edited by copemech

what about an unlocked phone with a UK sim in it? you would have a local number to home too!

there is also a prepaid plan that used unlocked GSM phones, i think its called O2. if you used both you would have a local number for home and a US number for calling in the US with out all the crazy out of country charges.

We visited WalMart and bought a prepaid phone. The phone was less than $10 and then used recharge when the funds ran low. They have several different carriers to select from.

I should add we used Skype on the Laptop to talk to the kids back home when we there.

Edited by PA.

I'm travelling to the US (mainly calif) for a few weeks in the summer but need to be able to work by phone (calls back to the uk). Any suggestions as to the most cost effective method.

US sim card/phone

UK phone

It depends on which phone you have I suppose. You could use Skype on an iPhone as long as you can pick up a wireless internet connection...