Marketing Trials In The Recession

dabber

I went to watch a car club race meet last weekend which is supposedely a cheap form of motorsport. These guys were racing old Jags, Caterhams etc. Chatting to some of the drivers it struck me how little they get to play with their toys for a lot of money compared to trials. The entry alone for the meeting was

I think that the sport needs to have more exposure to the mainstream public. How about clubs doing some demos at parks, grand openings, that sort of thing, I attend several MX ans SX races every year I see alot of freestyle shows I think if I see one more backflip I'll puke! but that is a sport that took it to the people! I've never heard a parent say they want their child to become a freestyler but presented correctly it could happen to trials. How about some kids on Onsets.

I went to watch a car club race meet last weekend which is supposedely a cheap form of motorsport. These guys were racing old Jags, Caterhams etc. Chatting to some of the drivers it struck me how little they get to play with their toys for a lot of money compared to trials. The entry alone for the meeting was

I think that the sport needs to have more exposure to the mainstream public. How about clubs doing some demos at parks, grand openings, that sort of thing, I attend several MX ans SX races every year I see alot of freestyle shows I think if I see one more backflip I'll puke! but that is a sport that took it to the people! I've never heard a parent say they want their child to become a freestyler but presented correctly it could happen to trials. How about some kids on Onsets.

I think it should be more focussed on those who are into motorsport in some way already and push the cost/skill angles. Mega indoor sections dont help - you ve got to make people think they can do it - remember tials really isnt a spectator sport.

I think that the sport needs to have more exposure to the mainstream public.

Comes up every now and then does this topic, trials does survive tough times, as often said, it is the poor mans motorsport.

I don't go for all the hype though, even when in full swing with kickstart, and TV coverage , the long time results have been falling numbers in all areas of the sport.

Cater for the poor man, with a realistic price tag on machine and competing, and you will have a just that! a poor mans motor sport.

Or flash bang big top circus, get rich quick, like the big time boys did to the economy, and you will probably get the same results.

Besides the obvious downturn in new bike sales like everything else and maybe lower numbers at some events is the trials world struggling ?? I ask this as I was talking to a mate today with a workshop who repairs road bikes and grass track bikes and he was saying he is busier now than ever. Road bike sales will take a hammering this year because of the new bike test that is being introduced as well as the recession. I think a few more motocross and enduro lads may look at trials as an alternative. It has still got to be the cheapest sport when you can buy a Pinky for

Edited by bo drinker

the only problem i see is that unless people are relatively keen to get into trials then they aren't going to hang around no matter how we glam it up or reach out, the fact it is such a skillful sport, even at low level does put people off.

compared to trials any numpty can get on a mx bike or enduro bike and could ride around the course sat on their ass all day long. cant do that in trials.

the upside is the cost. when i went to a trial and heard a bit of complaining that the entry had gone up

Bring Back Kick start!

Trails needs a house hold name and mainstream TV coverage and some big sponsorship.

Maybe a TV series that looks at the following:

• Overall world trials sean

• Feature each week on local club

• Maintenance Section

• Test bikes

• Riding gear

• How to start in trials

• Top Gear style challenge trials course for celebs.

• A day with a famous trials rider Dougie Lampkin etc

• Very sexy presenter or the Hamster from Top Gear he loves bikes!

• Most important would be attracting new blood into the sport

And lets capitalise on one of television's current fads: house make-overs. We could feature a "ride through a grand house" section in each episode. After all, look at how much new-comers to our sport love the spectacle of seeing Dougie Lampkin's trip through Goodwood House.

Edited by Ross Brown

It's a good point. Anybody see that article and video on the bbc site last week about the cycle trials guy from Scotland? Skillful but a good trials man is equally impressive yet very little recognition compared to this guy.

It has been mentioned that there should be more "Shows and Exhibitions". Although these are very entertaining they are not very effective to get people interested in the sport, either as a participant or a spectator.

You go to a Freestyle MX Exhibition, you see guys on MX bikes doing HUGE jumps with crazy tricks and can sit in your seat and drink a :moon:

You go to a Freestyle MX Competition and you get EXACTLY the same thing.

There fore the show and Competition are the same.

You go to a Trials Exhibition, you see some really great rider doing huge splatters, hopping the front and rear wheel over and around an assistant, long distance nose wheelies, long distance wheelies, Burn outs, riding across barrels set wheel base apart. COOL looking stuff.

You go to Trials Competition, you see ribbon and markers, Different classes on # plates (newbies are now confused), only a small percentage doing the HUGE stuff, most are doing what appears as easy and moderate obstacles, You see really slow moving bikes, really technical and skillful riding. And to top it off you have to walk to see all the action, (might trip and spill the :wall: )

We need to somehow expose new riders to what a trials competition really is, and so far the way it has been done is, "Hey Joe, how about you come with me Sunday to a Trials event and see what this is about?" Some times it works, other times nope.

And a lot of 35yr first time riders hate being beat by a 12yr old kid, (even if that kid has been riding for the past 6yrs)