How Do I......

slogger

Ok, the last time I did these was 24 years ago when I was 16 and I had my Dad over my shoulder telling me all of the things I was doing wrong. I have noticed a bit of play on the back and for the price of a set of bearing I would like to get her A1 before my first competition.

So what I can remember was we drifted them out with a long punch from the opposite side and then to refit the new ones, place a socket over them to tap them into place. Cant remember any greasing ? but it was a long time ago!

How close am I with my memory and what is the normal way of doing this without causing damage to myself or the wheel?

Rob

The long punch will get the old ones out fine.

A bit of grease is a good idea but use the old bearing instead of the socket and hammer tap the new ones home (don't forget to put the spacer in!)

Some folk put the new bearings in the freezer overnight and warm the hubs up before fitting?

The long punch will get the old ones out fine.

A bit of grease is a good idea but use the old bearing instead of the socket and hammer tap the new ones home (don't forget to put the spacer in!)

Some folk put the new bearings in the freezer overnight and warm the hubs up before fitting?

Ease the removal....heat the hub with a hairdryer or heat gun for 5 mins first...they fall out

Put the kettle on, pour boiling water on da hub and they will drop out with a light knock with suitable tool. Also make a brew while you are at it, I prefer weak tea with no sugar, but that all depends on your riding style, i prefer to keep my feet down as it prevents wear on the footpegs.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would add something I noticed on another forum on this subject, sorry if it was this one and I am just copying someone. The suggestion was to tighten a big rawl bolt into the bearing so that you have something to hit when you try to drift the bearings out from the other side. I know it's not that difficult to do it if you have a decent parallel punch but it can be tricky with a crap one. They said it works great, haven't tried it myself yet but will be in the next couple of weeks!

Edited by trophymacd

dont greas the hole when you fit the bearing , over time it will dry and 'glue' the thing in. the temp change by putting the bearings in the freezer over night is not suffcient to make a noticable difference to thier size. hot water will not be hot enough to get them out unless they've been out revently . get a torch ready and apply for a minute or so then the thing will drop out.