Wet Or Dry?

somerset steve

There are no cons (except over oiling)

the oil IS the filter, the foam bit is a medium to hold the oil .

the biggest cause of wear is the very, very small dust particals which will pass straight through a dry filter but get trapped amongst the oil you (should) have applied

I know it's not the same bike, but I have a 240..... Advice from Bill Pye on this is to run it dry.

The Fantic has just about the best filter setup on any trials bike and nobody will know more about them than Bill Pye but I would never run a dry filter for the reasons given above. I now use the proper stuff but in my Fantic dafs just used WD 40 or the like, redone every event.

Edited by 2/4

There are no cons (except over oiling)

the oil IS the filter, the foam bit is a medium to hold the oil .

the biggest cause of wear is the very, very small dust particals which will pass straight through a dry filter but get trapped amongst the oil you (should) have applied

i agree 100%

it only needs light oiling, not heavy

maybe bill is planning to rebuild watergallons motor

revenue planning?????

If you oil a filter there is a risk that the amount of oil will be different and this will affect air flow and hence carburation.

I run my filter dry, however I use a white spray grease to coat the inside of the airbox, this helps to collect dust that has got past the filter.

The white allow you to see dirt easily.

Periodically I apply a fresh coating to ensure it remains sticky.

Once or twice a year I take off the filter and remove the old grease with a solvent.

Two trains of thought you decide!

Light application of foam air filter oil , squeeze out excess , install ... Or run a K&N like I do (in EVERYTHING I own that needs a airfilter , except my push mower !) And don't make the mistake of over oiling ...

Glenn

Clive Tricky once wrote a couple of books, tuning the a-series and how to midify your mini...I did it

he spent many hours testing flow and filtration. A foam element is crap for filtering and flows a lot of air. Trumpets as per fantic help flow by reducing side effects maximising flow. The best air filter for an a-series IS from k&N. Filters a lot and flows more air than foam.

Since Open (K&N - type) filters in a trial bike are impractical and I cant buy the inserts (glenn where da ya get em from) i oil my filter with spray on oil. very littlle . I wash regularly and then re-oil. The white grease is a good idea maybe but my engine rebuilds are expensive and I want to protect that...

pay your money and take your choice....

L

Edited by Lee Harris

:rotfl: Lee ; A K&N part # E-3211 filter , with some 1/4 inch closed cell weatherstriping on the sealing edges fits the 240 airbox perfect , without crushing the filter or leaking around the edges . And if you go to K&N's website and poke around you can find filter dimensions and styles to fit just about everything ... I even use them for the filters in air compressors , They greatly extend service intervals and extend the life of the valves in compressors too ! And beleive it or not the compressor will pump up quicker and run cooler too with a free flowing intake system ! ( industial type compessors like at work ...) In fact I've still got to fit one to the 50 . The trottle response improvement in any bike is worth the effort ...

Glenn