Repacking The Silencer

steve1979

Hi guy's, Two questions,

1) how much packing should i use in the exhaust, do i pack it tight and how do you do it,(sorry for being a bit vague, never done it before)

2) When i had the air box out while and she was sitting on her stool with the rear wheel elevated i noticed the rear spring was slack as in the two adjusting rings were slack and the actual spring was loose, i presumed its just rattled loose but how tight should i make it i'e would making it tighter give it more spring for bouncing the rear end around.

Cheers

Steve

Hi guy's, Two questions,

1) how much packing should i use in the exhaust, do i pack it tight and how do you do it,(sorry for being a bit vague, never done it before)

2) When i had the air box out while and she was sitting on her stool with the rear wheel elevated i noticed the rear spring was slack as in the two adjusting rings were slack and the actual spring was loose, i presumed its just rattled loose but how tight should i make it i'e would making it tighter give it more spring for bouncing the rear end around.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

For a first-timer on silencer packing, the easiest way is with a loose-type packing like SilentSport. Don't pack it too tight, just read the directions. Some of us do the "cut, form and fit" packing with sheets of glass fibers, but that will be a pain if you have not done it before. Trials silencers are not round like a lot of the MX ones, so you can't just roll a sheet on ther core tube and stuff it back in.

For the spring, I'd put the bike on a stand, spin the collar up to take up the slack on the spring and then spin the collar on about 10mm more for preload and set the jam spring to lock them together, try to be careful, adjustment collars are somewhat delicate and can be buggered up easily. Then, try the bike and adjust more or less preload till you get it where it gives the damping/springing you want. There is no "one-size-fits-all" for suspension settings.

Cheers.

Jon

Once again thanks Jon,

there was a little oily gloop showing around the end so i think its time for a repack. And the rear tyre has worn through the side of the silencer so the packing will probably need to come out for welding a patch on.

Cheers

Steve