Txt 280 Year 2000

markmaltby

I have just rebuilt the engine in my friends TXT 280 but i now have a problem with the clutch and could do with some advice please.

The clutch lever is pumping up until it goes solid just like a brake lever i have stripped the slave cylinder and the piston is moving freely in and out.

I have removed the clutch and cannot find any apparent fault ,the pushrod that runs through the engine is ok as is the button and thrust race in the clutch side.

When i refitted the clutch should i have set the clutch tension springs up or as i have done just tightend them up until they bottomed out.

Any ideas please

Hi Mark,

Have a check to see if you have dropped/lost the ball bearing that sits between the clutch push rod and the mushroom rod.

You need to tighten up the clutch springs but be careful as the bolts can snap easily. The outer pressure plate has a line cast into the outer face across one of the holes for the springs, this hole is then to align with a spring post that has a slot in it on the clutch hub - only for alignment purposes this is.

Bye, PeterB.

Thank you for the replys chaps and a extra big THANK YOU to PeterB who hit the nail on the head.

I had lost the ball bearing when i did the engine strip,as Homer Simpson would say DOH

New ball bearing fitted and works perfect

Thanks once again

Best regards Mark