Lean Or Rich?

nottoogood

Hope this is not too stupid of a question...but I have a gut feeling I've gotten out of adjustment carbwise. Here are the symptoms:

1. lots of "spooge" coating the the inner tailpipe, different oils and mixtures up to 80:1 do not alter the amount.

2. routine backfiring upon killing the bike ... generally occurs just after rides betwen sections, not after riding a section.

3. "phantom" engine revs...after a long ride between sections, the bikes rpm steadily climbs with no throttle input, several thousand rpm's, not just a few hundred. I can make them subside with putting a load on the clutch or gassing the throttle. But it will resume and continue for a few minutes before subsiding.

The carb and settings are pretty much stock/standard....and the bike runs fine in sections, never dies. I do get a bit of high rpm reed flutter that I hope to correct after I get the carb dialed in. My gut instinct says rich, but major air screw adjustments seem to do nothing. I was thinking of a smaller main jet????

OK, let the character assassinations begin!! I need help! Thanks.

The oil in the exhaust is because it is a two stroke and you are using oil that resists burning. Clean the muffler out and get used to doing it.

Don't fiddle with the jetting if it works well within sections.

Your problem sounds more like:

Possibly might have too hot a sparkplug heat range for high speed work

Possibly a part blocked fuel tank/float bowl venting system

Possibly a crankcase air leak

Possibly fuel supply blockage (tank valve filter?)

Possibly old fuel

Possibly carbon deposits on piston crown and inside head

Keep your finger on the killswitch until the motor has stopped turning. It's only backfiring because you are effectively turning the ignition back on before it has completely stopped.

How do you know you are getting reed flutter?

Thanks FUF!

I'm using the factory plug, the revving problem was non-existant when new, and now getting progressively worse. I like your ides re the blockages, Ive really knackered it about in supper muddy conditions the past several months, I'm gonna do a thorough carb, fuel system teardown and clean after my next event as we are off for the hot summer months. I will definitely check for leaks and blockages.

The symptoms persist even with new / other fuel, so Im asuming its not age of petrol.

Its a new bike...maybe 6 mos...I would not think Carbon would build that quickly.

The spooge issue is much worse than my previous gas gas, which just "dusted" the pipe internals with carbon, I'm getting measurable gunk here.

As for the kill switch thing (it seems I have a neanderthalish IQ!)....thanks!

Hope this is not too stupid of a question...but I have a gut feeling I've gotten out of adjustment carbwise. Here are the symptoms:

1. lots of "spooge" coating the the inner tailpipe, different oils and mixtures up to 80:1 do not alter the amount.

2. routine backfiring upon killing the bike ... generally occurs just after rides betwen sections, not after riding a section.

3. "phantom" engine revs...after a long ride between sections, the bikes rpm steadily climbs with no throttle input, several thousand rpm's, not just a few hundred. I can make them subside with putting a load on the clutch or gassing the throttle. But it will resume and continue for a few minutes before subsiding.

The carb and settings are pretty much stock/standard....and the bike runs fine in sections, never dies. I do get a bit of high rpm reed flutter that I hope to correct after I get the carb dialed in. My gut instinct says rich, but major air screw adjustments seem to do nothing. I was thinking of a smaller main jet????

OK, let the character assassinations begin!! I need help! Thanks.

Check the routing and condition of your throttle cable for the phantom revs problem, it could also be the carb rubber manifold has a split and is drawing air or the crank seals , if this is the case putting on the choke should see the revs drop to confirm the diagnosis.

I suspect your two problems are not related and need to be sorted independantly

PS air screw effects mixture on idle, needle position on part throttle and main jet everywhere else......I think