Fantic 50

davieboy

I have just acquired a Fantic 50 from a friend of mine for the right price ie. Free.

It is pretty rough and has a few bits missing.Compression seems good and it was running a few months ago.allegedly.

Anyone on here know much about them? Spares availability etc.

I do not have a lot of cash at the moment so would be a long term project.I do not know if it is worth re-building,how much power do they have?

My boy is 9 at the moment but he would need to be a lot taller to use the Fantic.It is almost the height of my Sherpa.

I am thinking of taking the Fantic motor out and maybe fitting a Honda type 125 4-stroke engine in it.Would make an interesting,lightweight twinshock.

Airbox and side panels are the main bits missing though the forks are shot and the shocks are fit for the bin.

Ayone any experience of these?

I don't know much about it yet , but I just got a 1980 fm330 for my daughter . Only mine only needed a few rubber bits to be right ... A one owner extremely low hours bike ... ( still had moulding nubs on the rock hard stock pirelli's ...) It feels just like my 240 , minus 12hp and 50 lbs.

Bill Pye would be your man for parts on the old little fantic ... And it's a joy to ride , my girl is in japan right now and I've been working/playing on her bike ! ( my spare ...)

Have fun !

Glenn

post-1232-1245789091.jpg

Edited by axulsuv

Hi,

I've had an aprilia 50 (very similar to the fantic 50) for a few years, bought it for my son then fitted a honda 125 engine about 4/5 years ago. Its a major transplant to do as the honda engine is much taller but having said that it is a nice little bike and 'reasonably' light weight. Great fun, was a much bigger job than I ever expected.

I have a set of marzocchi forks (small diameter stanchions) in the shed if you're stuck. Still have the original front wheel as well. I changed forks for a set of mono yam forks which are much more rigid.

Andy

Hi,

I've had an aprilia 50 (very similar to the fantic 50) for a few years, bought it for my son then fitted a honda 125 engine about 4/5 years ago. Its a major transplant to do as the honda engine is much taller but having said that it is a nice little bike and 'reasonably' light weight. Great fun, was a much bigger job than I ever expected.

I have a set of marzocchi forks (small diameter stanchions) in the shed if you're stuck. Still have the original front wheel as well. I changed forks for a set of mono yam forks which are much more rigid.

Andy

Thanks for this.

Did you have to cut the frame to make the Honda engine fit? I do not want to cut the frame up much if possible.

What engine did you use? a CG overhead valve or a CB overhead cam?

The push rod motor has quite a good reputation for this type of conversion.

Hi Ross.Good score at Abington on sunday.Did you enjoy it?

Thinking of the pushrod motor myself.Lots of Brazil built CG125's about and the motor is pretty robust.

Gearing,exhaust and electrics are probably the main problems I think,other then actually mounting the engine in the frame.

Would I need a battery? A small dry cell would be easy to locate as I would use a K&N type filter so plenty of space where the airbox should go.

Do these motors plonk low down for trials? Gearing would have to be trial and error,large sprocket on the back and not much speed but would only be for club/fun trials anyway.

Frame needed lots of surgery to fit. Mountings are the same pushroad or ohc, I actually used ohc. Mounting the carb is massive challenge as the (offset) inlet is directly in line with frame tube. Runs great without battery. Had to make new downtube from headstock further forward than original and lengthen bashplate. Then of course making up an exhaust to fit....

Took what seemed like ages to do, end result was worth it.

Hi Ross.Good score at Abington on sunday.Did you enjoy it?

Thinking of the pushrod motor myself.Lots of Brazil built CG125's about and the motor is pretty robust.

Gearing,exhaust and electrics are probably the main problems I think,other then actually mounting the engine in the frame.

Would I need a battery? A small dry cell would be easy to locate as I would use a K&N type filter so plenty of space where the airbox should go.

Do these motors plonk low down for trials? Gearing would have to be trial and error,large sprocket on the back and not much speed but would only be for club/fun trials anyway.

Always enjoy Abington, nice to get a few cleans.

Hows the head?

Speak to Hamish about this, by coincidence we were talking about these engines, and he seems to have alot of experience and knowledge regarding interchangeability of Honda parts. I think he said he used TL125 1st 2nd & 3rd, along with the original 4th & 5th from the CG.