No Clutch

simon1310

i will try to explane this the best i can......

some how the other night while out on the trials bike my chain came off the back sprocket as i was going up a little hill. As i was moving the chain carried on and jamed up round the main drive sproket and stalled the bike. After freeing the chain and putting it back over the back sprocket every thing was good apart from no clutch.

I can get all the gears, i remover the clutch plate to see if any damage had been done but could not see ant thing a miss there was nothing in the oil was all nice and clean. I then did the brake fluid but still nothing.

any help would be greatfull.

sorry the message went on so long lol...thanks simon

Hi Simon,

you don't say what kind of bike you have? Just a guess but I'd take a look just in front of the sprocket and check for damage. Many bikes have the clutch slave cylinder here and if the chain bunches up there it can jam the cylinder. Does the clutch lever move as normal or does it refuse to pull back?

As much info as possible will help future posts1

GJ ;)

Simon

You have worn through the clutch slave cylinder housing most likely. I did this about six or seven years ago on my last pre Pro GG 250. It was difficult to see until I'd removed the chain and could see the damage. Luckily I managed to repair it by removing the cylinder and getting the damaged bit welded in. It cut through right at the back of the piston so I managed to just clean up the inside with a dremill tool. If the damage was anywhere further up the cylinder wall I wouldn't have sealed properly but it was fine. You may have to just replace the slave cylinder completely.

Hi Simon,

you don't say what kind of bike you have? Just a guess but I'd take a look just in front of the sprocket and check for damage. Many bikes have the clutch slave cylinder here and if the chain bunches up there it can jam the cylinder. Does the clutch lever move as normal or does it refuse to pull back?

As much info as possible will help future posts1

GJ ;)

the bike is a GG 270.

the lever does pull in with no resistance what so ever its very easy

Most definately hole in slave cylinder, you'll probably find your fluid level is dropping as well. Shouldn't be too costly to fix but it's best to just replace rather than repair as keeping things round etc after welding is not always a certainty

On a Gasser its on opposite side to chain drive unlike beta. Have you check the 5mm bolt which holds the clutch on as mine came loose.

No its not. Well not on any I've seen. The clutch is on the right hand side but the slave cylinder is on the left right behind the main drive and the chain running off the gear on the inside soon wears through.

Simon

You have worn through the clutch slave cylinder housing most likely. I did this about six or seven years ago on my last pre Pro GG 250. It was difficult to see until I'd removed the chain and could see the damage. Luckily I managed to repair it by removing the cylinder and getting the damaged bit welded in. It cut through right at the back of the piston so I managed to just clean up the inside with a dremill tool. If the damage was anywhere further up the cylinder wall I wouldn't have sealed properly but it was fine. You may have to just replace the slave cylinder completely.

hi this may sound like a silly queston but this is all new to me. i have the basic mercanical knowledge for vespa scooters but not for trials bikes.

is there some sort of book like haynes manual or anything like that that one can buy thanks simon

No but there is a parts manual that you can get from GG UK or search the net. It usually downloadable. It doesn't tell you how to do things but it does give detailed break down diagrams. Its pretty simple on this occation. Just take the chain off then the front sprocket and in behind is the clutch slave cylinder. You should be able to follow the hose from the master to it.

Here you go. This is about as good as you are going to get.

txt clutch

Here is how it works. When you pull in the clutch lever number 18 is pushing a piston out and pushing on number 20, 21, and 22. Number 23 in this picture is a bearing which will allow number 13 to spin while it is being pushed out. When you release your clutch the springs (6 of them number 14) push number 13 and the clutch pack into number 6. Clear as mud? hahaha sorry.

Since number 18 (your clutch slave cylinder) is bolted right past the front sprocket we suspect that this may be damaged or leaking. There are three bolts that hold this clutch slave to the case right in front of the small engine sprocket. Remove these three allen bolts and pull this slave cylinder off. You should see a piston move when you slowly pull on the clutch lever. If you do see this piston move then look for fluid leaks. If there are no leaks and it moves in and out freely then inspect for a missing part possibly 21, or the bearing number 23.

--Biff