Cota 348

cpjm

Hello everybody

Just bought myself a Cota 348 with the intention of doing some classic/twinshock trials like the Kendal Classic Nostalgia Trial. Idea was to practice in the garden, the top part is particularly steep and wooded, because whilst I have ridden for years I've never done trials. Very small budget so I looked for a tatty bike, but had to be a runner. Eventually found one at

Hi, it could be something simple and easy to fix.

Check that the fuel is flowing into the carb and that the fuel filter in the tap or the tank breather are not blocked are the jets clear?

Can the choke stick on?

Check the points gap is correct and the ignition timing is right.

Is the rubber manifold perished between the barrel and carb?

If the engine has been stood unused for a long time the crankshaft oil seals can become dry and may be leaking allowing air past them into the crankcase.

I am no montesa expert but if it was mine that what I would start looking at.

Good luck Alan.

Alan many thanks for the advice. In the end I stopped being methodical and rechecked all the stuff that I had already checked, then replaced the spark plug and condenser (even though they both appeared quite new) and then cleaned the carb for the fourth time. There's a pilot jet in the float bowl for the choke, it seemed ok but I bought a long narrow screwdriver, whipped it out, cleaned it and that did the job. The Amal site was very useful for info, http://www.amalcarb.co.uk/default.aspx, and look for downloads. It could have been 32 years of crud, but the previous owner made an air filter out of a kitchen sponge which had dessicated in the air box so I suspect it was a piece of foam in the jet. Anyhow, I now have a runner, so see you all at a classic trial soon, except - got to fix the brakes first, and the rear shocks, and the front, and...

Jeremy