Tlr200 Rear Rim Oxidization

petej

Hopefully a picture of my TLR200E's rear wheel rim is below. Would you guys consider this to be so far gone as to need replacing with a new rim?

I've had a look on the Central Wheel website and Excel rims come in at around

post-24-1101851160.jpg

Would you guys consider this to be so far gone as to need replacing with a new rim?

If that is the worst area of corrosion I would be happy to use the wheel - my 'bad wheel' is a lot worse than that although I have a new rim ready to build onto that hub.

My 'good wheel' is in similar condition to your pictures. I suggest you clean off the the oxidation with a wire brush & angle grinder/electric drill and wash/degrease wheel. Then give it a couple of coats of paint with a thick paint such as Hammerite, leaving it to dry for a few days before re-fitting your tyre.

Every time you change a tyre check to see if the corrosion has got worse. On my twinshock TLR250 I cleaned off the corrosion at least 5 years ago and to be honest i have not really seen any further degredation of the rim. My other bike has been sitting for a while and really the back rim is too far gone so I have another rim (not a Honda gold DID!) to fit once I get round to buying spokes.